jeep wont start

hi, my the other day i went to the store. 5 minutes later came out and jeep wouldnt start. turn the key and no crank at all. after calling to get it towed. me and the driver pushed it towrd the truck, gave it one last shot and it started. i ended up driving it home (20 miles). at home. cleaned the battery teminals to look like new. started it again afterwards with no problem. next day. started it went to the store came home no problem. decided to just try to start it one more time from my driveway and nothing again and thats where is stand now. any suggestions???? you help would be most apprciated. its an 1989 jeep yj. 6 cyl thanks

Reply to
dan g via CarKB.com

Well, here's the skinny, sounds like a situation I had with a old toyota corolla. service shops couldn't find a damn thing wrong anywhere........ anyway, a long story short. It seems the ignition switch was the faulty problem. It would only do it after driving for awhile, and stopping. If you let it sit for awhile, it'd restart. Just a thought. Could also be the linkage adjustment on the ignition. Not that there is much, but its a rod going down to the switch mounted on the steering column down towards the pedals. I'll put $20.00 on the switch...... But......with all the emissions crap and the ecm, who knows...... make sure your block ground wire is good....... and all wiring connections in the engine compartment are good, especially around the starter. have your battery tested......as well.....as the alternator.

dan g wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

it is a manual transmission. 5 speed. 6 cylinder

Robb S wrote:

Reply to
dan g via CarKB.com

is it stone cold dead? No accessory power?

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Basic 'no grind' troubleshooting... when you turn the switch, does it click? Is there a small click, or a big clack?

No click =3D no excitation to relay/solenoid Neutral switch? Clutch pedal switch? Bad switch/relay/wire? small click =3D relay being excited, no joy to big solenoid... bad relay or connection? big clack =3D big solenoid moving, but no current through it (clean connection/ rebuild solenoid/replace starter)

If you can get it to fail at home, then this would be an easy fix for someone with a voltmeter. __ Steve good luck! .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

My '96 is as we speak having a "new" starter installed. This will be the 2nd one replaced under warranty. All I can get for the '96 is rebuilts. Lemme see, this one lasted about 4 months, it's predecessor about 10 months. Went out this morning to go pick up some parts for the boat ... I got one "click" out it, then nothing. The previous one did the click click click ... whack it with a hammer might start thing. My mechanic who is 2 blocks away, actually came over, crawled under, and checked it out. My money's on you need a new starter.

Reply to
Bowgus

Reply to
Bowgus

I know it isn't a jeep but I had a 4 cyl s10 that had it's started very close to the exhaust pipe... the starter solenoid would get hot and it wouldn't work until it cooled off for about 30 minutes on a cool day. Went through 2 starters until I crawled under someone else's s10 and saw there was a heat shield that I didn't have. crappy huh.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

OT: I've read that there are other vehicles requiring that heat shield ... the XJ starter is opposite the manifold(s) side, below the oil filter/sender. When mine did start to fail, I could at least whak it from above with a piece of pipe, rather than crawling underneath with a hammer. That was in January and it made sense to me at the time to have my mechanic do the fix ... the bottom nuts are easy to get but the top one, well, and I do not have a garage ... I long ago replaced a frikken Saab (those autos with the sheet metal underneath the engine compartment) starter in my laneway one very cold winter day and after that experience said forget that ... geez, I think my hands are still numb from that experience ... :-).

Reply to
Bowgus