"Jeeps" in Greece

So my wife and I were on three weeks vacation this past September on the islands of Santorini and Milos and I saw some strange sights: the Jeep Liberty model with the "Cherokee" nameplate on it... I saw this several times in Athens too.

Someone had the gall to put a Jeep tire cover on the rear tire of their Toyota whatereveritwas... It was so disturbing to me I took a picture of it.

Seems almost everyone calls their 4x4 a "jeep." Samuris are popular there. One of my wife's best friends there has the Grand Vitara (not so grand); she calls it her Jeep. I brought a pic of my '02 TJ and said to her, "No, *this* is a Jeep."

Next year in Greece we'll be renting a 4x4 (hopefully a real Jeep) so we'll be able to explore a lot more... Having the Wrangler in Mexico was GREAT, plus, the roads there are horrendous. Getting around was a lot easier and much more fun in the 4 cylinder, half-doored TJ.

Dave in NY

2002 TJ Straight Six Dana 44 rear 3.73s Raingler netting
Reply to
Rushfn1

twaldron

I never really understood the Libby stories in this group, never saw a Libby in the Netherlands, just the new Cherokee ;-) And yes, it is a real "problem" everybody over here calls their 4x4 a "jeep". When I tell someone I have a Jeep, they ask, "yeah, cool, what kind, a Suzuki?". Glad for them I'm too civilized to give them the four knuckle treatment on the spot. And when I tell it's a Jeep CJ7, they get the same facial expression you see on goldfish. Only when I say Renegade, they know what kind of vehicle I'm talking about, but for me the conversation is over.

Thom.

Reply to
Thom

So for you calling your vehicle by the "right" name is more important than meeting people and making friends?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

For me it important that people listen an don't make assumptions. Those people become my friends.

Thom.

Reply to
Thom

Reply to
twaldron

That's not what you said before, "...but for me the conversation is over." Your post makes it look like you don't even give them a chance.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I believe that's pronounced "co-cola"

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
twaldron

Don't worry, it's not that black and white.

Thom. (Mental note to self: Go back in time and put a smiley in original post)

message

Reply to
Thom