True-Track LSD in D30 (TJ) front axle?

While researching an upcoming regearing project, I was told by the shop that my plan to put a True-Track gear driven LSD in the front axle was a bad idea, that it would have trouble on turns, etc. This is contrary to what I had heard up until then. Anyone used one and care to comment?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

David C. Moller

On 22 Nov 2003 08:51 PM, Jeff Olsen posted the following:

The person who told you that doesn't have a clue about the TrueTrac. I have one in the D30 under the front of my '01 TJ which spends at least 1/

3 of each year driving in snowy/icy conditions here in Anchorage, AK. It works great, my only issue is that with LSDs in both axles I have so much excess traction that I probably get on the throttle harder than I need to in some of the nasty stuff. Luckily the MT/Rs that I am running stop better in the snow than any tire I have used so far. 8^)

Anyway when I had mine installed I was told the same thing and one guy even had the gall to tell me that I would be back in to have the open diff or an ARB installed after the first snow (I went elsewhere). Here I am going into my third winter with it and my only regret is that I only have the factory trac-lok in the rear instead of another truetrac, or an electrac which I am planning to have installed if/when I can get a dana 44 built.

It's also nice not having to shovel the part of my driveway where I park the Jeep, I just put it into 4 low and back up the hill, thanks to the truetrac in the front. 8^) FWIW my brother has truetracs in both ends of his TJ and he reports no problems with them, although he hasn't had it in the snow much lately.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

If that shop said that a front Truetrac will cause problems, then you can't trust a thing they say. I used to have Truetracs in my front and rear axles in my TJ and I literally could not tell they were there. Totally transparent.

That said, you're better off with a locker in the front axle since when in

2wd, you cannot tell it's there either. When I removed my front Truetrac, I installed a front locker that I won at a 4x4 run and really, no kidding, I can't tell it's there when I'm in 2wd. But when I'm in 4wd, what a HUGE improvement over the Truetrac. It's the rear axle where you can really tell when a locker is installed.

Besides, it's WAY cheaper to buy and install a front locker than it is a Truetrac, and it can be installed in 1/4th the time since it gets installed into the stock front carrier. I suggest either a Powertrax Lockrite or what I have, a Powertrax No-Slip... both of which are true automatic lockers. And once again... you cannot tell there's a locker in the front axle, I wouldn't have installed it if I could tell or if it harmed the street manners since my TJ is a daily driver.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

On 23 Nov 2003 07:36 AM, Jerry Bransford posted the following:

Unless he has to deal with snow and ice, in which case he will be in for a bit of a shock when he engages 4wd on the road. No way would I want an automatic front locker here in Alaska.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I have been running Tru-Tracs front and rear on my 98TJ for years. Absolutely no problems on dry, wet, ice or snow on Minnesota roads. Hope this helps. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

98J
Reply to
G.Sandhu

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

True, neither would I in conditions like you have Del

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

The shop is full of sh*t. If they don't believe me they can drive my TJ as I have a True-Trac in my front D30.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

OK, Bill, you lost me in your vicodin-induced stupor. What are you blabbering about?

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On 23 Nov 2003 05:19 PM, Matt Macchiarolo posted the following:

Bill's just pissed that nobody makes an ABS kit for his CJ. I think its starting to get to him.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 23 Nov 2003 09:51 PM, L.W.(?ill) Hughes III posted the following:

Same crap you were pushing last time I was here. Despite all that doom and gloom, the ABS on my Jeep continues to work fine, and has resulted in none of the problems cited. The ABS on the S-10 I previously had also was fine, except for a couple wheel sensors that went bad, and that just meant I had to live with regular brakes until I could get to the dealer.

I'm not saying that those problems can't happen, but they haven't happened to me. I will grant you that all 4 wheel ABS systems are probably not created equal but on the 2 systems I have had experience with, no complaints.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Seeing as I do not have the stock wheels with the 5.5" backspacing, I fail to see how your bleary-eyed tirade is relevant to the existance of a Tru-Trac in a D30. Now wipe the drool off your chin and lie down until the drugs wear off.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Q: How do we know when Bill H. is writing crap?

A: He's typing.

;-)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Not every Pinto that was rear-ended blew up... Not every drunk driver gets in an acident... Not every Jeep with ABS will die a miserable death if used off-road... Do any of the above enough....

Reply to
Joe