jeeps with big tires

I've noticed since having 33x12.50's on my TJ that whenever I pull up to traffic lights I sometimes dont trip them. Also happens in drive through lines. Do others of ya'll have this problem also?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

those are magnetic loop sensors. You've raised the body of your jeep to high for the loop too detect it. What to do?? If you doorless, you can usually hop out and hit the crosswalk button and jump back in your jeep before the light changes... Nick

Troy wrote:

Reply to
nnote

Yup, in spades because my Jeep is fiberglass. I have had to pull out of the line so the guy behind me could pull up to change an 'on demand' light.

I have heard of guys carrying magnets on a stick to run over the line for a trigger. I don't know if it works.

Mike

Mike Romain

It should. We have the same problem with motorcycles. They sell a magnet to hang on the bike frame, as the sensors are looking for a change in the current due to metal effecting the coil's magnetic field. Some guys glue a magnet to their boot. If you try to put a wheel on the windings, it may work. If that fails I would attach a hard-drive magnet to a rod on a spring and hang it under the bumper,removing it before going wheeling. We got Calaveras County's 4th traffic light last year, 3 of them are within a 1/2 mile section.

VEHICLE CODE

21800. (d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. This subparagraph shall apply to traffic control signals that become inoperative because of battery failure.
Reply to
Stupendous Man

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:40:39 -0700 in , "Stupendous Man" graced the world with this thought:

I've been given a ticket by a cop at 2:30 in the morning when a light didn't change. Of course, it changed for him. It comes down to you say, he says. , I was in a car, not a vehicle that would normally have a problem. Guess who wins? And yes, I had a witness, the passenger in my car. I sat there for about two minutes before running it (knowing there was a problem with it--it was about four blocks from my house--sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't), and I'm relatively sure the cop saw that, because I have no idea where he came from--so, to me, that says he was hiding somewhere, knowing there was a problem with that light, and watching for someone to do what I did. Two against one, and the cop wins... oddly we weren't charged with perjury though--even though we apparently blatantly lied under oath.

Life in California.

Reply to
bizbee

You should call the county or state(who ever owns the light) when you find a bad one. Then, notonlyu does it get fixed, but you can get a report to take to court to back up your word.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Yep. If you run steel wheels put a wheel over the sensor and it will work. Had this problem with the automatic gates at work after the first couple of lifts.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Ah didn't know that, I thought they were some sort of pressure sensor. Well a magnet on a stick its gonna be! I have aluminum rims :(

Troy

Reply to
Troy

The magnets removed from old hard-drives are about the strongest you will find. You can probably just stick one under the front diff, but you may want to shave it's beard every few months.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:32:32 -0700 in , "Stupendous Man" graced the world with this thought:

I would these days, this was back when I was younger... of course, the fact that about 1000 people a day drove through this sucker, you'd think would've. It was like that for about two months... and I have no doubt that the cop used it for his personal ticket pad filler. I wonder if anyone at the PD ever takes a look and considers the conditions that a cop writes tickets under--I mean, like, if this guy is turning in ten tickets a night for people running this light, I'd say it looks like he's shirking his responsibility of seeing that this safety hazard gets taken care of, for his personal advantage. Trust me when I say, before run a red light, I thoroughly pan the entire area for cops parked anywhere before I do it. This guy was solidly hiding someplace, given that he just dropped out of nowhere. Ergo, he knew goddamn well that light was broken. Yes, I'd have handled it much differently these days.

Reply to
bizbee

You can request his ticket records, and prove it if he is. I had a ticket dismissed on the fact that I could prove that the officer was discriminating against motorcyclists, he had written 60% more tickets against bikers than the average Officer for the area.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

Tweeter magnets on higher end liquid cooled tweeters are much stronger, as are surplus radar magnets. Or you could wire up a big old coil and just flick a switch as you approach the sensor... not getting too crazy and into the 1 Tesla or more range unless you want to test the glue on that sensor.

Reply to
Lon