1995 Saturn SL2 - A/C problems - questions

Hello folks...

so my mother has a 1995 Saturn SL2. The A/C is not getting cold. With the engine on, when the switch on the ac controls is turned on, it blows air, but is not cold at all. While looking under the hood while the engine is on, you can see the compressor engage and disengage as you turn it off and on.

I thought that if a newer modern a/c compressor was out of freon/refrigerant there was a safety doodad to stop it from engaging, to keep it from burning up the compressor. Is this incorrect?

I found one big square looking fuse in the fuse panel for the HVAC next to the passenger seat on the center console... I have no idea hwo to check this or if the ac would work at all with this fuse damaged or broken. The 15 amp fuse on the same panel marked as for the HVAC, tested fine.

So, any ideas on further trobleshooting?

Thank you,

-W

-Woogeroo

---------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

remove NOBS to send email.

Woogeroo's Smoking Page:

smokin' along with an old style Big Green Egg...

Woogeroo's Autolinks:

Lots of links to lots of pages dealing with trucks, cars, off-road, tractors and information. Free to all, gearheads come forth. :) If you have a suggestion, let me know! No Pop Ups or Banners.

Reply to
Woogeroo

engaging,

You could check the big square fuse with a continuity check. Checking the pressure of the system would tell you if there's enough/any freon in the system.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

BTW, nice links.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Thanks.

It is kinda old chevy truck heavy... since I have a '65 and my pop bought an old '53...

if you have some nifty Saturn links to share, I'll throw them up under 'cars' .

:)