Just got my 4" lift kit

I just received my 4" lift kit for my 83 CJ7 and noticed that the front springs are narrower than the rear. I called the guy I bought it from and he couldn't give a reason for the difference other than that the stock perches are made for those widths (front spring width is 2", rear spring width is 2.5").

I was thinking that the front holds then engine and therefore "should" be heavier and so I was wondering why the front spring width on a CJ7 is 2" where the back springs are 2.5"?

Also, on my current setup it looks like stock springs which some type of shackle on the front (can't remember on the back). When I install these springs and shocks should the shackle remain there or should there be no shackle what so ever (looking for quality here)?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Mine looks like section 4 in this pic:

Reply to
William Oliveri

You need the shackle on both the front and the rear. The shackle keeps the springs from ripping the frame to shreds.

When the springs flatten out (as they do constantly as you go over bumps and stuff) they get longer from mount to mount. The shackles provide a pivot point that allow the springs to lengthen a little bit. The rear of the front spring and the front of the rear spring is a fixed-position mounting point, and the shackles provide a place that can move when the springs lengthen. Of course, when you have a tire that is hanging, the spring is as short as it can be (from mount to mount, not along its curve), and the shackle allows the spring to move that way too. If you don't have shackles, the springs will not bend down to absorb bumps, nor will they articulate very well.

My suggestion is that you get some new shackles that are stronger than the stock shackles that you currently have. Check out the offerings from Currie. They are a little longer than stock, but the benefit is that they are very beefy and are not prone to bending and twisting sideways. They will give a firmer feel on the highway. I also went with the polyurethane bushings on my CJ. These are stiffer than the rubber bushings, so they resist body roll and wandering suspension components. Whatever you do, DO NOT use your existing bushings over again.

Reply to
CRWLR

You need to know if the current springs are the same as the new springs. The spring perches near the center of the frame are the ones that are driving the boat here. The perches in the center must be the same size as the springs, or you will have fabrication issues to deal with. The perches on the ends where the shackles go can be easily replaced if needed.

Reply to
CRWLR

Sounds like he has mixed up YJ and CJ springs.

CJ springs are 2". YJ springs are 2.5".

They are 'not' interchangeable without a lot of metal fabbing and changing perches, shackles, etc...

They also have a totally different flex rate and should not be mixed together. The Jeep will be all over the road with mixed up springs.

You also have to have shackles on both springs or the springs will go ridged and not flex. When they springs flex, they get longer and shorter so a shackle is needed for this movement.

Front springs have front shackles, rear springs have rear shackles.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My '81 CJ has two different size springs, it is a safe assumption that William's '83 also has two different size springs. The real test is to hold the new springs up to the existing springs and see if they match.

Reply to
CRWLR

That is strange, I just checked mine and the fronts are 2" and the rears are 2.5".

Learned something new.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to