Newby needs advice

I haven't had a jeep in quite some time(1975) and I have a chance to get back in one for cheep! 1989 (yj?) soft top, good body, four cylinder, good frame for $500. The kicker is that the tranny is shot. When I looked at it, the tranny wasn't there at all so I don't even know anything about it other than the guy said it was a 5-speed. He said he was having difficulty locating one for less than $1700 and he didn't know what kind of tranny it was either. A guy told me it may be a Peugeot tranny and that if it was it was junk. Should I buy the jeep and invest? ....or keep looking? Thanks for any help. Randy

Reply to
Prowler99

May be difficult to get a good understanding of the condition of the engine, etc without it running.

I prefer the 6 cylinder over 4 for my purposes. This might be a consideration for you as well.

Having said that I had the chance of buying a nice CJ7 for half the price of the one I bought and I can kick myself now for not buying it. It had a 4 cyclinder in it and I had not yet had enough experince looking at CJs to know what I was looking at.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
Prowler99

Sounds like a good starting point for a project, if you have the time and resources for such a thing. I was thinking 350TPI with a 700R4 trans. I mean, if you have to do an engine/tranny swap anyway...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

I've seen good T-5s in my area for as much as 200.00. I'm not sure what would be so special about your situation. I'm running a I6, 258 with a T-5 tranny which is working fine. I'm not familiar with YJs other than there are a lot of things the same. I would be willing to bet it shouldn't be too bad to get a tranny for this particular model.

hth,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Buying that Jeep is a no-brainer,. do it. If you don't want to buy it, let me know so I can. :) I bought my '89 YJ 4 cyl in November 2002 for $600 and love it. Recently, I have swapped in a 4.0L driveline from a '98 XJ (check my web page out if you are interested in swapping in a

4.0L). The transmission for a YJ with a 4 cyl is an AX-5. I have my old one for sale if you are interested, just let me know. Good luck on the Jeep purchase.

-Brent Bogrees '89 YJ 4.0L w/ 33" BFG MT's and '98 XJ 4.0L driveline swap '94 XJ 4.0L w/ 31" BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

It all depends on what your goal is but, the body and frame is worth $500!

Reply to
JimG

Prowler99 wrote: > I haven't had a jeep in quite some time(1975) and I have a chance to > get back in one for cheep! 1989 (yj?) soft top, good body, four > cylinder, good frame for $500. The

Prowler, unless the body and frame are rotting off it, and the engine is wasted $500 seems pretty good to me for a project vehicle. A stock engine swap can run well over $3000 if you have someone else do it. So IMO if those three things are solid you've got a good starting point.

I'll defer to the experts here, but that year and 4cyl should have been an AX-5 tranny and I believe there are a number of options for what you can put in there with different bellhousings.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

You need an AX-5 - I see rebuilds all the time starting around $600-$700 on ebay, I'm sure that's not the only source.

Reply to
jdarg

Reply to
Prowler99