K & N Air Filter Questions

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Did you get most of that out of a book? Maybe you have heard of David Vizard "The Wizard"? Well, he has tuned my engines. On top of that, a good friend of mine and former boss of 15 years has a 1938 Morris 8 with a Ford Capri 2.8 litre, 671 blower and full roller timing and all steel internals that puts out 675 BHP. His brother has a Ford Anglia with the same horse power. Both have a purpose built C4 automatic transmission. But you probably don't believe that either. Right? He also has a Mustang Dyno in his shop... I believe you call it a "Rolling road"

tend not to lie...So yeah, I do have a 998cc A+ series that pumps out 101 HP.That one is naturally aspirated, quite the hand full. Got clocked by the R.C.M.P. (That's Royal Canadian Mounted Police)My Brother-in-law! at a smoooth 198KMH! Got the ticket framed andhanging on the wall. Not to mention that I have two additionalwitnesses who were driving next to me at the time.As well as an A+ that pumps out 150HP!I never said anything about "Normally Aspirated" in my Rally car, itjust so happens that the photo I posted showed dual Skinners Union1.25 carburetors, sorry it is an old photograph. My engine actuallysports a supercharger that comes from Sweden (Actually used on atractor originally. They use an A or A+ series engine on that farmimplement with great success!)And yes, I have to over haul the engine more than I like, but that isthe price of Horse Power. I know I know you don't believe it. The same goes for me that all people of the British Isles don't brush their teeth every day. However, it's been my experience that the British subjects that I met DON'T practice proper oral hygiene.

Then there is that Hillman IMP shit box. I don't recall reading anything about those in the history books winning any World Ralley's in the 1960's. Yes, they did well on the race circuit. But allot of those also had conversions where they used A series.

Food for thought Dude. I've been in the Mini business since 1976 and roots in Mini's since the early 1960's. I've been a parts manager over seas for many a year in one of the largest Mini shops in Europe.

I've built,tuned, and driven model year 2000 Mini's with in access 125 horse power(Dyno tuned) 5 speed gear box and 5 speed sequential shift gear box. Daily driver Mini's.

So stick to Jeeps!

I doubt you know anything about them as well after reading what you had to say about Mini's.

Oh, by the way...

Brush your teeth at least twice a day.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:21:01 GMT, "Dave Milne" wrote:

Reply to
Socks

No, I got it from taking them apart. Are you challenging any specific points of that ? I'm getting the impression your "tuning" is of the chequebook mechanic variety - unlike you, I didn't get anyone to tune my engines for me.

Re: your "never said anything about normally aspirated", I said I didn't believe it IF it was normally aspirated. Try to post a relevant photo next time. I'll believe you can get damn near anything out of a turbocharged / supercharged engine - yours probably won't last 5 minutes !

And yes, I've put SUs on minis too. And just to bring it neatly all nearly full circle, I wouldn't use a K&N.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

LOL. I can't believe anyone still argues the merits of K&N high-flow filters anymore. Those who have carefully noted post-filter silicate levels have come to a factual, quiet, unannounced conclusion. And then they don't use K&N products anymore.

It's funny though. Even though I knew my fleet-manager and shop supervisors refused to use K&N air filters, I bowed to temptation in a foolish effort to capture those extra 2 HP. at 7,000 rpm that I had so long been missing. After a couple of thousand miles and a cursory inspection of the intake plumbing and throttle body, it went up for auction on eBay, and some other foolish person bought into the dream of "something for nothing."

Reply to
Outatime

Wondered about using K&N, but not in the OEM dropin mode. Thought about splitting the intake between two filters thus lowering the flow rate and allowing even a weaker (reusable) filter like the K&N to work. Probably not worth the plumbing.

Reply to
DougW

I've seen this done before with very good results on an older Chrysler product, although he used two separate pipes that split directly off the throttle body. He used OEM filters though; he was after more airflow at high RPM's, but wanted the cleanest air possible.

Reply to
Outatime

Even with OEM filters, more air equals more dirt. You can't argue with the laws of Physics. But two OEM filters will not pass pieces of dirt as big as a single K&N will. Another factor is that with greater filter surface area you will see lower air flow per unit surface area, and this translates to lower air velocity. This means that the filter media, whatever it is, doesn't have to work as hard. The big pieces of dirt will be more likely to be caught if they aren't going as fast.

I saw a Bronco once, with two K&N cone type filters sticking out of the piece just behind the hood. Crude looking, but I suppose it got the job done.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

What does a Cosworth Ford engine have to do with an A or A+ engine?

Reply to
Socks

Well dave, I have many friends here in Canada, America, Europe that have archived the same results. Iv 'e worked in the Mini business long enough to know that it is possible to get the results I mentioned. Stage three John Cooper conversion for a twin point injection 1300cc gets you around 115hp with stock internals. If that isn't true, contact Mike Cooper and ask him and then tell him that he is full of it. Higher horse power? What about K.A.D. or Jack Knight 16 valve cyclinder heads?

Reply to
Socks

You seem to be dropping the bar a bit. 115 from 1300 is more believable. John Cooper only got 90hp from the Si 3 but hey.

I still doubt your 101bhp from a 998, but am getting bored of arguing, and doubtless our fellow Jeepers are getting bored of it too.

I'm glad you are enjoying your mini. I enjoyed mine, being a POS not withstanding. You possibly benefit from no puddles.

Dave Milne, Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Milne

In Canada? You have to kidding. I read that there is a "desert" somewhere in Saskatchewan, but this fellow is probably not even close.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Ah yes, puddles! I do understand... I own a Mini! And yes that can be and are a POS! But what ever, lets get back to Jeeps shall we?

All things considered, we agree to disagree shall we?

Cheers Ryan

Reply to
Socks

Yeah Ear le, there is a desert in British Columbia as well! But you probably don't believe that either! Must be hard to be an arm chair adventurism, in fact it must SUCK! Do some research before you peck at the keyboard.

Reply to
Socks

Like I said, what does Cosworth Ford engines have to do with a Mini A or A+ engine? Let alone Jeeps

I didn't pull anything out of my ass.

Stick to Jeeps.

And even then we will wonder if you know anything about them!

Reply to
Socks

You should learn to read a little better. Some spelling lessons wouldn't hurt either. Maybe even take a look at a grammar of the English language. It must be tough, being a moron and all. Plonk.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

:)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hoe is this for English Earle... GO FUCK YOUR SELF ASS HOLE.

Reply to
Socks

Indeed, we do :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

They were a range of horse power rating pulled from real engines, not just your a**hole.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III