Leaking Transmission

Hey, everyone.

I'm having problems with a leaking transmission on my '91 Wrangler YJ. I recently installed a used transmission (original tranny died). I was told the replacement had been recently rebuilt,low miles, etc. After installation, the replacement works great, but it leaks gear oil out of the front of the tranmission.

So, I removed it again and replaced the seal on the bearing retainer plate, thinking that was the problem. The old seal appeared marginally 'distressed'. I applied RTV silicone sealant around the retainer plate and reinstalled the tranny. The same leak occurs.

When I looked up the specs on transmission capacity, I found that 4.5 quarts was required. Am I overfilling the transmission? Is there anything else that I'm missing?

All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry

Reply to
Haukwa

RoyJ

What tranny?

My T5 takes 4 pints...

Mike

Haukwa wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I believe my tranny is an AX-15. It sounds like to I need to confirm the capacity.

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

Gerry

Mike Roma> What tranny?

retainer

marginally

Reply to
Haukwa
3.25 quarts:

Steve

Haukwa wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Will Honea

LOL! Very true!

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Will,

I am dealing with a manual transmission. I filled it up to the lower edge of the fill plug, which took approximately 4.5 quarts...and it leaks like a sieve. The

web site (thanks to the person who submitted that site address) recommends 3.25 quarts. Maybe the 1.25 extra quarts that I added are the ones leaking on my garage floor.

If that is so, how does one ever check the fluid level? I thought it made a lot of sense to fill the tranny to the bottom of the fill plug.

Thanks!

Gerry

Will H> That's dead easy - pull the fill plug on the driver's side. If you

confirm

Wrangler

died). I

retainer

Reply to
Haukwa

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's the way I fill my AX15 - when it runs out the fill hole, it's full. I did have one leak problem with mine when I swapped it in. It came out of a Toyota 3/4 ton pu and the rebuilder left the plug in the vent hole so it would blow out some oil as it heated. Put a vent tube in and that crap stopped.

Reply to
Will Honea

Is your Jeep sitting at a steep angle? That would affect things.

Reply to
Michael White

You are doing it correct, you must have other issues unfortunately.

The only way to check the fluid is to see if it comes out the fill hole.

Maybe the front bearing is also toast so the new seal gets blown out right away?

Mike

Haukwa wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain