Lift kits

Still searching for a lift kit to go on my 93 YJ. Probably just 31's but might want to go bigger later. I am now looking at a Superlift kit. Any thoughts? Problems? Thanks. Dennis

Reply to
Lovs2fly

Spring over. 'Nuff said.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If you're set on doing a lift kit, I'd go with a RE or BDS if you want good quality without going to high in cost. If you're looking for a decent kit and a low price, I think the best bargain kit going right now would be Rough Country.

NT

Reply to
Nat Man

4" YJ lift for $420 on ebay less used or from individuals... The kit is pretty damn complete, more so than most other kits... Most kits I've seen don't INCLUDE a drop pitman arm. It also has T-case lowering spacers, trackbar brackets, shocks etc.

I got mine "newused" (6 months old) for much less... rough ride, but the price is right and their's nothing wrong with the build/production quality

Reply to
Simon Juncal

How hard is this conversion? I have a 75 CJ5, what all is needed to be changed as part of the spring over conversion? Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

(4) leaf spring perches : $40 (1) 4" drop pitman arm : $60 (1) SYE and CV shaft : $400 (8) U-bolts : $60 (4) Shocks : $100

The U-bo

Reply to
Carl

Yikes, accidentally hit send w/o finishing

It's actually pretty easy if you can weld. I didn't cut off my stock perches, so that I could use them to act as a guide for my new perches.

You will need:

(4) leaf spring perches : $40 (1) 4" drop pitman arm : $60 (1) SYE and CV shaft : $400 (8) U-bolts : $60 (4) Shocks : $100

The U-bolts, shocks, SYE and CV will be needed with any other lift kit. The biggest $$ saver on a SOA lift is that you keep your stock springs for a bit. I reccomend upgrading to Rubicon's SOA springs or adding an extra full legnth leaf to the stock packs. I cut the spring eyes off 4 good wrangler main leafs and added them to the packs when I did my '89 Wrangler. The stock springs left in stock fashion won't last more than a few months before they get ridiculously bent. Untill you upgrade them, they *WILL* flex like crazy.

I didn't need extened front brake lines b/c I was able to remove the hard line's anchor and carefully bend them to be long enough and then re-anchor it. The rear line is anchored to the axle, I just removed the bolt, pulled off the line and put the bolt back in to cover the hole in the axle. Be sure to add wahers between the bolt and the axle tube to make up for the brake line mount. The hard lines on the axle gave me plenty of room to leave the stock brake line untill I bought a longer one from Skyjacker.

The handling and ride were both excellent before and after the spring-over. The 4" drop pitman arm from Rubicon did the trick to get the steering

*perfect*. The CV shaft and SYE from Tom Wood took care of any vibes out back.

Be sure you change your gear oil *before* you make the swap, or while you have the axle free. Its a PITA to change the gear oil with the pinion pointed sky-high.

With the SOA and 1" shackle lift, I easily cleared 33's and could have fit

35's. With the addition of an extra stock main leaf and an extra stock short leaf, I had clearance for 37's.

All in all, I was *VERY* glad I went SOA. More clearance at the axle, crazy flex, and it was a *lot* cheaper than the lift spring kits. I never lost a U-bolt like many SUA guys do, plus SOA just looks cooler..

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.. I'd be glad to help.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Premature epostulation. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Yikes, accidentally hit send w/o finishing

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Robb- I bought anti-wrap perches. Those, along with the proper springs eliminated "axle wrap" issues. I'll take the extra clearance at the spring and axle wrap over the low SUA clearance any day.

If axle wrap was not easily fixable, most 4x4's wouldn't come SOA from the factory.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I installed the 3 1/2 inch Rough Country on my YJ. 8 hours case of beer and a couple of buddie's. The kit came with every thing but steering stabilizer. I think I paid $450. That included the cost of the stabilizer and shipping. Did an add-a- leaf and shackles on a buddy's Yj and he saved about $200 . But getting the new leaf in the spring pack was not a very fun job. Use a big hammer.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Yea but WOW did he recover quick! ;¬D

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Quantity is almost as imporant as quality *BFG*

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Olay, now forgive the lame question that follows but...since I am new to Jeeps, how much difference is there between a 75 and 76 CJ5? And with said differences, how much and what kind of reworking do I need to do to use a setup for a 76 or later rig? I seems that everywhere I look I see kits and parts for '76s and newer but strikingly few for '75s and older.

Reply to
Brandon Audet

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III