Any old catalytic converter on my TJ?

My cat is rattlin', and I'm getting sick of it. Dealer wants $450, local shop wants $250... any reason NOT to go with a non-dealer catalytic converter??

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Nope, no reason not to go with a non dealer. IMO the non dealer price is a little high as well.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

how many miles on the jeep? dont the dealers have to replace them if you have less then 85000 miles on it or something? there is some kind of federally mandated warranty on them.....check it out........

Reply to
trailboss

What year is the TJ? I think the Cat may be covered for 7 years as part of required emissions warranty. Happened to a Saab I had 10 years ago...

Reply to
Morrissey

Just had my cat replaced by the dealer for free, and I haven't had a warranty in a while. 99 TJ with 44k miles. I think they law is 7 years,

80,000 miles (or something along those lines). Call and ask. It can't hurt. By the way, don't let it get where mine did -- lost almost ALL power.. it was all plugged up.

Eric

99 TJ SE

Reply to
Eric

who do you call? the dealer? will they be honest about it? mine is rattling too and Im looking at a replacement...if i can get it for free then what the hey?!

Reply to
trailboss

Just call the service department and any Jeep dealership. Give them your vehicle info (year, mileage) and they'll tell you if it's covered. If you think they're scamming you, call another one.

They'll take it in, test it to make sure the cat is bad, and replace for free if it is. They have to. The one here was pretty cool about it. They replace all the piping from the header back to the muffler. My guess is they ate something up taking the old one out. Works for me, though!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Thanks for the replies, all!

Unfortunatly, even though it started rattling before 80K miles, I didn't deal with it until after 80K. The warranty is an either/or thing; 7 years (?) or

80k. My TJ was made for the Canadian market and I bet that would have shot it down anyway...

I'll take it to the local yokels and pony up the $250...

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I have a rattling cat too and didn't know about the warranty coverage until you guys pointed it out. I looked in the warranty section and it's interesting, there's a bunch of emission related "stuff" covered under the basic 3yr/36 k warranty and only the cat and powertrain control module are covered for 8yr or 80k.

There's also a the California Emission Warranty that covers the same as above plus the intake and exhaust manifold for 7yr/ 70k. This only applies if the vehical is equipped with the California emissions and is registered in Massachusettes or Californina.

Just thought you'd like to know ...

Rob

Reply to
Rob