Lubricant questions

2005 TJL, 4.0L, D-44 rear, D-30 front, 6-sp (AX-15?) transmission.

I've hit the 10k mark and plan to change ALL lubricants and fluids this winter. I want to make sure I'm using the correct lubricants.

Known fluid types per the owner's manual:

---------------------------------------- Cooling System: Glysantin G-05 mixed 50/50 with distilled water Axle differentials: 75w-140 Power Steering Pump: ATF+4 Transfer case: ATF+4 Brake Master Cylinder: DOT-3

Unknown fluid types:

---------------------------------------- Clutch Master Cylinder ??? Manual Transmission ???

I plan to use:

Axle differentials, Mobil One's LS 75W-140 without additional limited slip additive

Power Steering & Transfer case: OEM Mopar ATF+4

Brake MC, a good DOT-3, likely Prestone

Problem: I have no idea what should be used for the clutch master cylinder or the manual transmission.

I suspect the clutch MC uses DOT-3 brake fluid as well (nothing mentioned in manual), and I'd like to use a good quality manual tranmission lube, but don't want to pay Dealership prices for OEM stuff. I've also heard that using hypoid gear lube in Jeep manual transmissions cause problems with pitting and premature synchronizer wear. I've seen some use Redline MT products, but I'd prefer to use something specific to this transmission to avoid problems down the road.

What do the experts recommend? I'm not a cheap bastage: if I have to pay $21/qt. for Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid, I will. Does anyone know of a good, cheap source for this?

Reply to
Outatime

"Outatime" escribió en el mensaje news:QpqdnXfAH_eU4A3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@softcom.net...

New car owner, eh? Your best resource is your owner's manual. That bears repeating. Your best resource is your owner's manual.

AX15 is an Aisin-Warner five speed, of Japanese design and manufacturer, highly superior to recent American made transmissions. It is similar to Toyota truck transmissions, and was replaced with a domestic offering before your model year. You're going to have trouble finding anyone to give you the straight story on your New Venture (?) six speed transmission's likes and dislikes. Unless you dunk the vehicle in water however, whatever transmission fluid you put in it now is good for 100,000 miles or more. I would therefore put the Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid in it, or whatever is called for in your Owner's Manual. You really don't need to change manual transmission fluid on any kind of regular basis, but one change while the vehicle is more or less new is great. Make sure when you drain it, that it has a magnetic plug.

Autozone has this. Wow! Clear antifreeze!

Consider a synthetic for improved cold weather performance.

Check your owner's manual on this one. I would expect "Power Steering Fluid", of which there are two types, Honda and non-Honda. You would need non-Honda. Definitely confirm with your owner's manual. If they have gone to ATF+4 for the power steering, this is a great leap forward in terms of simplicity.

Owner's manual, but probably right. If you are really going to do this, flush the whole system. Lots of junk builds up in the lines and calipers too.

Owner's manual, but probably the same as brake system.

Your owner's manual is a good resource, nudge, nudge, hint, hint. Sometimes you have to search through it to find what you want.

Call the dealer service department if it is really not in the manual, but they have been making hydraulic clutch cylinders out of the same stuff as brake cylinders "forever".

Read the Redline MT propaganda. Find out if it is supposed to be compatible with your vehicle's warranty requirements. Then make a decision. Either choice is probably just as good.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton