Maintenance Required light will not turn off

I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler. i have flushed the engine coolant, changed the oil, flushed the transmission fluids, a lube job, new filter and still the Maintenance Require light will not turn off. Am I missing something else?

Reply to
Philippe

When I took mine in for the same problem the tech told me they remove the light at 120K miles.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

: When I took mine in for the same problem the tech told me they remove the : light at 120K miles.

Do you stop maintaing it then too?

*wink*

How about coolant levels?

Just curious, if it is being set by a code of some kind, then could you not disconnect the battery for say - five to fifteen minutes and reset the whole thing?

Of course you would lose the presets on your radio station and have to reset the clock but.....

KJK

:
Reply to
KJ.Kate

Nope, it's a mileage thing. It comes on at 82 or 82.5k ( U can't remember for sure, and then again at 120k (unless you never had it reset from the first time). I think they want you to change the O2 sensor IIRC, and pay them to turn off your light.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Warren

"Matthew Warren" wrote : : Nope, it's a mileage thing. It comes on at 82 or 82.5k ( U can't remember : for sure, and then again at 120k (unless you never had it reset from the : first time). I think they want you to change the O2 sensor IIRC, and pay : them to turn off your light. : : Matt

DAMN! That bites! Mine has a "service required" indicator on the overhead console, accompanied by a ding BUT I can reset it myself Maybe he could have a service guy tell him how to reset it.

I could ask someone, if no one else has the courage to ask....

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I think he forgot to replace the air in the tires.

Seriously,

The light usually has to be manually reset, the dealer/tech who does the maintenance is supposed to do this. Look in the owner's manual for the procedure, or ask a dealer. A Maintenance Required light is not set by a code that would light the Check Engine light, it's set by engine mileage/hours to remind you to change your oil. In every vehicle I;ve had with a Maintenance Required light there was a simple procedure to reset it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

In my '92, it was reset at the dealer the first time it went off, around

86k, but the second time, at 160k, a bulbectomy was the only way to turn it off. It would not reset again.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

LOL!

Yup, the $tealership insists it's time to pay them some money. That is the only way to turn off the timer light. It will go off again in another 80K or so.

Just a pure BS money grab. They also will try to sell you a tune up and a new O2 sensor.

Folks could reset the older ones, but it was a pain in the butt. Way easier to unplug them. The $tealers got smart, you have to use a computer to reset them now.

Mike

Mike Romain

In my 88 XJ the light came on at 82500 mles. Its a small black box that has to be replaced along with the O2 sensor. Replaced the O2 sensor and then used a piece of black tape. Never saw it again or paid for the small black box.

Reply to
Howard

You can just unplug those black boxes on the side of the steering column. The new lights are part of the computer so the $tealer can get money to shut it off.

Mike

Mike Romain

I took my speedo cluster out and pulled the bulb.

Reply to
TNKEV

I was told by a mech. that you can disconnect the positive and negative battery cables, wait a few minutes, touch them together and it will totally drain the electronics and reset the error codes. He also said that some cars it will reset the computer so you it will have to "learn" again. Not sure if I'm supposed to or not, but I've done it to my jeep before and it seems to work, 01 TJ.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

might try fixing your brake problem to see if it'll go away.

Reply to
Simon Juncal