Jeep Tires

What is the largest tire I can fit on a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport with no problems? Also how do I find out which speedo gear will correct for the larger size? I am currently running 215/75/R15 and want to go bigger without a lift. My rear leaf springs are sagging a bit from age but other than that everything's ok. I was told by Sears auto centre that the largest I can fit is 235/75/R15. I am considering a set of BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain tires in that size or larger if possible. Is the a comparable tire to the BFG's Mud-Terrains that is cheaper? Thanks

Chris

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 L, 5-Speed 215k
Reply to
Chris & Mary

mic canic

Chris:

(I assume you have stock 15" wheels and no lift.)

I just got new tires for my '92 XJ (Command-Trac), and after looking at a number of XJs with various tire sizes in parking lots, and reading lots of reviews on

(no - I don't work there):

1) Although most say that 30x9.5x15 will fit, they JUST fit. I saw a couple and IMHO they're too tight in the wheel well. I went with the 235/75R15s, and have had no problem whatsoever with rubbing, even when the steering wheel is all the way over. Neither have speed bumps or curbs been a problem. I haven't gotten off road yet, but I think there will be no problem there either.

2) I got BFG All-terrain TA/KOs. Good reviews from friends and others. I originally wanted Goodyear MTRs. Mudders are good for mud and snow, but not necessarily for a daily driver (one of my requirements). They tend to be bad in wet conditions, which is about all we've had here in VA lately. The BFG ATs are quiet (quieter than the previous owner's highway

215/75R15s), and still quite agressive.

3) If you go from 215/75s to 235/75s, there's only a 4% difference in the speedometer (29"/28"). I'm living with it. At 55mph, that's an error of 2.2 mph.

Good luck! Stephen

92 XJ Laredo
Reply to
Stephen Gibbs

Your axle ratio is embossed into a steel tag between two bolts at the 9 o'clock position on your rear axle. It'll likely say 3.07 or 3.55.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to