mixing tires...

A few times I've bought tires at Costco. They reluctantly will mix tires from different manufacturers. I strictly 'on-road'. Does any one know the real reason?

Mel P.

96 Cherokee
Reply to
Mel P.

Here in the UK, not only will Costco not mix tyres from different manufacturers, they won't even sell you one tyre as they insist in having a matched axle. The excuse is that the tyre size differ between manufacturers and it will both bugger up your 4x4 system and also adversely effect your handling so you will crash and die.

This is either down to the famed American litigiousness or a cynical and doubtless successful attempt to make more sales. Personally, I think they should sell you the damn tyre and let you make the choice yourself.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Different tread patterns behave differently, you could create some major handling problems with combinations that haven't been tested.

Most tire manufacturers recommend against it, Costco doesn't want to get sued and going against the manufacturer's recommendations gives a sharp lawyer a way to shift blame from the manufacturer to Costco.

Reply to
XS11E

The sidewalls don't act the same so you can and will over or understeer and possible wipe out if you have to avoid something rather than calmly driving around it.

The cops here in Canada will bust you for driving an unsafe vehicle if they find mixed tires on a 4x4.

It actually isn't near as dangerous off road as on because you can slide easier off road rather than grabbing, grabbing, grabbing and WOW a 180 or 360 suddenly happens.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I mixed Michelin on the front of a 1970 Pontiac station wagon with BFG's on the back and wiped out on the 'first' highway exit ramp I drove on. I was doing the posted exit speed on a sunny dry day and the arse end decided it really wanted to pass the front end.

Ya, ya I was young, broke and stubborn and got such a good deal on the Michelins...

I learned fast that not mixing tires wasn't just 'an old wives tale'.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Here in the UK, not only will Costco not mix tyres from different
Reply to
Mike Romain

I forgot that 70's American cars weren't built with those strange things called "corners" in mind...

Dave Milne, Scotland

manufacturers

Reply to
Dave Milne

I think that's more a function of "new tires up front" than mixing brands. For reasons of stability (as you found out), virtually all tire experts recommend that the tires with the most traction should be mounted on the rear axle.

-- ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5 { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Reply to
Fred

I guess I should have stated that the BFG's on the back were also less than 6 months old and had a lot more aggressive tread than the 'used' Michelins I got a good deal on, so they 'were' on the back.

It's a function of the sidewall flex, the Michelin tires have 'very' soft sidewalls so they always look half flat compared to a stiffer tire like a BFG.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, I know for sure that here in Ontario Canada if you get into a bad fender bender in your 4x4 and you have mixed brands of tires on it, the police and your insurance will find 'you' at fault for driving an unsafe vehicle.

This does not hold for driving on a spare tire or vehicles that spec different front and rear sizes.

Their reasoning 'and' my insurance companies reasoning was if you have the 'proper' matched tires on your 4x4, you 'might' have been able to avoid the accident rather than hit the jerk that pulled out in front of you.

This can turn an accidental death into vehicular homicide and make for a 'really' bad day.

Thankfully I learned that lesson back in the 70's so 'had' matching tires and the other party was found at fault for hitting me and he lived thankfully....

Mike

Fred wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain