mod 20 transfer case

anything obvious to make a mod20 easier to shift out of 4lo? mine seems to be a pain sometimes. Is there a procedure like slow rolling forward/reverse or somthing im not aware of?

76model CJ if that helps
Reply to
Steve G

When my Dana 300 jams in 4x4, I need to stop and goose it in reverse spinning the tires to unwind it.

Fresh grease on the linkages does wonders for them too.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

try keeping a steady pull on the shifter while backing up.

Reply to
digitalmaster

The Model 20, actually the AMC 20, is a differential not a transfer case. The AMC20 is behind the D300 transfer case. Yes, the D300 can be a pain to get out of 4LO, and going slowly in reverse can help.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The owners manual for my D300 says 'use a firm hand when shifting', LOL!

I have had to even get the passenger out of the way to use the 'firm' hand and I weigh in at 200 lb.

Mike

Mike Romain

That is better than having one that pops out of gear. The wrecker driver here, used to use an assistant for mountain vehicle rescues, just to hold the transfer case in four wheel drive when going down hill.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

There was a link to a Jeep Fire (Brush) Truck a while back that had a chain to hold the transfer case in gear. Of course I think it was to hold the pump PTO in gear but the same idea applies...

Reply to
billy ray

Ok I should have made it clear i was speaking of the "Dana 20 transfer case"

Reply to
Steve G