More FRIGGEN HP PART 2

Well the XJ is at the shop and in pieces as you may know I am making that bad boy into a 4.6L stroker using 4.2L parts. This ought to be interesting. I am thinking that while it is down, I will pull out the carpet and pull off the side panel trim and make nice durabak rocker panels, bumper and floor. Any ideas?

Reply to
sc00ter

Well the engine is out of the Jeep and there was a nice little ridge around the top of the cylinder where the piston stops so its off the the machine shop.

Reply to
sc00ter

I remember a long time ago when I dismantled a 63 Impala I had those ridges. I got a tool called a ridge reamer that took that ridge off rather easily. I am thinking that you can do this yourself. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You can but the ridge reamer does nothing about cylinder taper. Maybe that ridge is just carbon, but maybe it isn't.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Are these cylinders tapered? I did not know that. Thanks. If not, then it is at least a cheap thing to try. If so, then he cannot get them out the top anyway....eh? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

If you have metal wear that ridges the top, you will also have metal wear further down - and the bottom of the cylinder wears faster than the top. Takes an inside mic to measure, but even the real cheapies from Harbor Freight will give you a pretty good idea of the relative wear, if not the absolute number, which is the important number here - assuming the side clearance on the piston isn't beyond limits. Good machine shop should be able to give you a definitive answer with a few minutes of measuring. Considering that boring out the cylinders will also require new pistons, maybe new rods, etc. etc. ad nauseum finding out the real state of affairs is good move before going any further. The difference between just throwing in a new set of rings (and inserts - silly not to do this while you are in there) and having it bored is a bunch of dollars.

Reply to
Will Honea