mounting sporster 4 in tj

i have the standard sporster 4 with the standard mounting kit. i want to mount it in my rubicon but cannot find a suitable location. i dont want to stick it to the windshield because the light is to bright to be in my direct field of vision (causing vision issues at night). i also dont want to mount it in a vent blocking off air flow. the suction cup fits in the ashtray in my dodge truck and holds it in position perfectly, but i cant seem to find a similar spot in the jeep. any ideas (preferably with pictures) would be appreciated. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Hey Nate... what IS a Sportster 4? I thought a Sportster .... was a Harley... for girls even ;¬D

Kate PS: Check your email!

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote in message news:tr6dnaLpoI-9YH_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com... i have the standard sporster 4 with the standard mounting kit. i want to mount it in my rubicon but cannot find a suitable location. i dont want to stick it to the windshield because the light is to bright to be in my direct field of vision (causing vision issues at night). i also dont want to mount it in a vent blocking off air flow. the suction cup fits in the ashtray in my dodge truck and holds it in position perfectly, but i cant seem to find a similar spot in the jeep. any ideas (preferably with pictures) would be appreciated. thanks,

Reply to
Kate

oops, sorry. :-)

see

Nathan W. Collier

No way to turn down the brightness on that display? If it weren't for that criteria, I'd say suction cup mount to the windshield and be done with it. I've got a RAM suction mount for my eTrex GPS, and I'm tall enough that sticking it on the windshield a few inches to the right of the steering wheel puts it in a great location for viewing but doesn't block any of my forward vision: The only thing I would be looking at through that particular spot would be the hood.

Only other general locations I can think of would be over your head somehow (top of the windshield frame) or near your knees like some have their CBs mounted.

Maybe you could fab up something like a simple overhead crossbar

or a full blown overhead console

Garth Almgren

Jeeze, don't say that over on the Harley group...there's lots of guys over there(most of them younger than me)that even do cross-country on Sporty's.

Sirius-ly. :-)

I've got 2 YJ's...I just stick my Sirius units to the top of the dash with velcro.

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC(P) '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

Reply to
Old Crow

thanks, am considering that as an option.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Ohhhhhhhh.... Yours is an 06, like mine, isn't it?

Shame. Mine came with a 6 disk changer with the Sirius built right in. I use that little tray up there for my GPS, cell phone and such. Would sure hate to lose it.

Sorry I can't help with your install, but at least now I know what a Sportster 4 is :) I sure do love my Sirius though, makes any kind of driving so much easier.

Kate

oops, sorry. :-)

see

Kate

Jeeze, don't say that over on the Harley group...there's lots of guys over there(most of them younger than me)that even do cross-country on Sporty's.

Sirius-ly. :-)

I've got 2 YJ's...I just stick my Sirius units to the top of the dash with velcro.

-- Old Crow

Reply to
Kate

"Garth Almgren" wrote

No way to turn down the brightness on that display? If it weren't for that criteria, I'd say suction cup mount to the windshield and be done with it. I've got a RAM suction mount for my eTrex GPS, and I'm tall enough that sticking it on the windshield a few inches to the right of the steering wheel puts it in a great location for viewing but doesn't block any of my forward vision: The only thing I would be looking at through that particular spot would be the hood.

Reply to
Kate

yes, i have the 6 disk changer but not sirius. would love to get my hands on an OEM unit that has it already built in. ill have to start looking for one and save the trouble of having to mount the sportster that i can now leave on my RUV. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Sirius functionality is via a add-on module that plugs into the same port that a external cd-changer would go into. You could also put in a iPod adapter like I did (after I found a decent head unit that could control it). The modules allow you to daisy chain, so if you had, say, a RAZ radio, you could hit the mode button and get Sirius, then a iPod, then a 10 disc changer, and then the cd in the head unit. I'm pretty sure a 6-disc head unit could control both a Sirius reciever as well as a iPod adapter.

Now to figure out a way to get back-of-steering-wheel-controls to work the head unit... Does anyone know if a '04 rubicon's clockspring has the wiring to support steering wheel radio controls or if it would mean trying to get a WJ's clockspring shoehorned in there?

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

hi, are you saying i could buy this -->

and it would be all i needed to add sirius to my existing head unit? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

"Herb Leong" wrote Now to figure out a way to get back-of-steering-wheel-controls to work the head unit... Does anyone know if a '04 rubicon's clockspring has the wiring to support steering wheel radio controls or if it would mean trying to get a WJ's clockspring shoehorned in there?

/herb

"Back of the steering wheel controls" ????!!!! That is the ONE thing I really missed about the Liberty. Not available on mine damnit.

Kate

the only thing that appears out of place at all are the letters "RBQ" in the lower left hand corner. does that mean anything? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Yeah, that's the sales code for your radio. That one should be able to take the Sirius adapter no problem. However, you may want to dismount it and verify the model number as there are cases where the same sales code was used for different models that were similar.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

many thanks! i have a button that says (i think) "PYT" but when i put it, it does nothing. is that the button for engaging the sirius?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I belive you would use the MODE button for that. Pushing the PTY (Program TYpe) button, followed by the SEEK button will allow you to find other stations with similar programming (same genre) to the station you were listening to.

Reply to
bllsht

so THATS what that button does....thanks.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

It may be the scan button, rather than the seek button, but you get the idea. It only works on FM, not AM, and few stations actually broadcast that info so it's not really all that helpful. I do believe it works for the satellite radio also.

Reply to
bllsht