moving soundbar to front of rollbar

can it be done? I plan on buying a Bestop Halftop and it seems the sound bar would be exposed. are there any drawbacks from doing so?

Thanks,

TC '97 TJ

p.s. what do you call those little rubber "bumpers" that bolt on to the front bumer? My jeep didn't come with them and I can't find any on the net.

Reply to
Tupac Chopra

They're usually called bumperettes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had them for sale on eBay.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That was the first mod I did to my TJ. Driving with the top down and the speakers at the back did not make sense. Also at night the dome light is in the back so you can not read a map or directions. I took the bar off and just moved it forward. I did not flip it around, this way I did not have to touch the wiring. All I did was drilled 1 hole into the roll bar and used a rivit to hold it in place. The door surrounds will be a bit tight but they do fit. In the summer I have the windjam on and had the same problem with the sound bar being out side.

Move it to the front, however the only issue is that you will not be able to drive with your windshield down, but I never do so it is not a problem. Even in the winter with the hardtop it is nice to have the speakers over your head so you can hear them.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

Could you possibly send me pictures of this finished mod? I've never liked the sound bar where it is and would like to see it before I attempt it. Does it hinder your view at all? Do you knock into it when bouncing around offroad?

Many thanks, Brian

Reply to
bjc

you guys must sit low in your seat!! I'm interested to see the soundbar moved....but I'm only a couple inches from the roof with my melon anyhow!

Reply to
SteveBrady

With my 87 YJ I never had a choice but to put it above my head due to the roll bar style (after market bar but thicker than a stock sound bar) and it has never been been a problem...... but then again I'm only 5'-10.

Jeepster

Huh, my '95 YJ came stock with the soundbar in the front. Of course I've got bigger speakers on the rear wheel wells now, and the one remaining speaker in the sound bar has been re-routed to be an external speaker for the CB.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Well, I'm only 6' (if I stand up straight!) but I've got the proportions of a midget....all body. I've got issues with my rear view mirror being right in the middle of my vision....might move it to the very top of the windshield yet....

Reply to
SteveBrady

If you grab your mirror, you will find the stalk moves on the Jeep ones allowing it to be moved easily to the top of the glass so it is out of your way.

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jeepster

I have it pushed up as high as it'll go...but I think I'll have to unmount it and reglue more to the top. I'm high enough (not THAT way) that I have to stay back from the traffic lights in order to see them...funny...but managable!

Reply to
SteveBrady

LOL! I can't see lights without ducking out my CJ7 either so know what you mean, I'm 6'4". I don't have a center mirror on mine so it's no issue. ;-)

Good luck trying to move it. I recommend a replacement base just glued on higher and leave the old one there or maybe just get a mirror with a longer stalk. It is a GM base I think, but could be wrong as I don't have one to go look at.

Mike

SteveBrady wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think I'd have to beat myself up if I put anything resembling that in my Jeep!! Looks neat though....but the word 'dainty' and 'cute' would end up in sentences describing me and my Jeep!

http://www.taillightk>>

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

and where were they mounted on a car like that? hood? off the side mirrors?

Reply to
SteveBrady

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for the replies guys. I had planned on having the stereo system upgraded so I just might have those guys do it at the same time.

As far as the bumperettes, the only ones I can find are the steel hoop type for the rear bumpers. I'll keep an eye on ebay.

Thanks,

TC

Reply to
Tupac Chopra

Never thought you would admit you don't have a Real Jeep !

:-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have a real Jeep; (42 GPW). BG kend