Rough Idle and exessive smoke

I recently bought a 79 Cj-5. I am having 2 problems that are beginning to concern me. The first is that the engine is smoking exessively. It is not oil, but rather gas. Sometimes it won't smoke at all and other times I can't see behind me theres so much smoke. My other problem is that the engine has a very rough idle. When it idles, it shakes exessively. Any ideas to what the problem may be?

Reply to
JeepCjBoy

Which engine?

Mike

JeepCjBoy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Its the 258 I6.

Reply to
JeepCjBoy

I would be first checking the contact on the electric choke. It is on the valve cover side of the carb and likely has 2 wires on it. They get ratty and the choke tries to close sometimes.

Mike

JeepCjBoy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain