Moving to Texas, any advice?

Hey everyone. I will be moving/ transfered to Texas in Dec, and i need to know if there is anything I should know for my jeep? Mainly the Safty inspection... anything that i have to worry about that might be legas in CA and not TX? Are there any places to go wheeling in the Austin area?

TIA Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Dorsey

twaldron

I've also heard Austin is great! A friend of mine lived there once and she said she really enjoyed it. All the Best. The only thing I can think of is to adjust your timing depending on the year of your vehicle. An altitude thing.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Kurt, If you are legal in CA now you will have no problems in TX. Even if you're not legal in CA you still won't have problems in TX. I'm in LA now but regularly talk to the guys at

and they seem to have plenty of places to wheel. Enjoy TX and my only suggestion is to pack some sun screen, it's hot as hell around here!

You may also want to take a look at the Jeeps of North Texas web site. The url is

They seem to get together regularly and wheel at places like Barnwell Mtn which I here is pretty cool.

Anyway, welcome to the largest state in the land. Home of tall stories and even taller hats.

Enjoy,

Casey Teague

Casey Teague

I live in Austin and there is no special safety rules you need to worry about. Texas is pretty relaxed when it comes to Jeeps actually.

I don't know of any good places to go wheeling around here but there are a few short trails and occasionally you can go mudding in a construction site.

Reply to
Gary H

Thank you everyone for your replies... I have a 01' TJ, The main thing i was worried about is am I going to have to get mud flaps due to the fact that my MT stick out from the wheel wells. Also I have a cracked windsheild... on the drivers side.. so i didnt want to have to replace that....

I am very excited about this move.. and hopefully the last thing i get done here is get this Dem. out of office :) hehehe

Thanks again! Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Dorsey

A California '01 TJ should pass any smog test in Texas, no problem.

How far out do your tires stick out past the fenders? Texas is pretty liberal as far as Jeep mods, within reason. Unless you are doing something completely ridiculous, you will be fine. I don't even get pulled over for no doors/mirrors here because you only need one mirror, and I have one on the windshield.

As far as the cracked w> Thank you everyone for your replies... I have a 01' TJ, The main

Reply to
twaldron

Yep, you'll be OK in central TX with the Jeep. The cracked windshield might not pass inspection.

Good luck finding places to wheel. Most everything is privately owned in TX. Your best bet is to hook up with an off-road club. You used to have great wheeling (free) at Ft Hood in Killeen when I was there, but they closed that down a few years ago after a motorcyclist was killed (doing jumps I heard).

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

I lived there too, but I think it's overrated for Texas (other than outdoor recreation)

Reply to
jjp

Reply to
twaldron

And why do you say that? I lived there throughout most of the 90's -- I'm not going on what other people say about it. For a city of its size the traffic is awful, yet the restaurant scene is sub-par and it lacks many other big city benefits. Nightlife is primarily geared toward the college scene. I think the place is overrated in many ways.

Reply to
jjp

Reply to
twaldron