MSD 6 gone bad? Need Help/Opinions

Latest word on my 90 YJ is the MSD 6 Off-Road Ignition I have had for the last 4 years is intermittently not sending a spark (according to the shop). I occasionally have had problems starting, just keeps cranking, and one time, my solution was to roll the jeep back a bit, let out the clutch, then pushed clutch back in and it started right up.

Is there some sort of sensor? Could it be a flywheel problem? Could this due to a battery problem? My YJ has been sitting for a while (2-3 months) and the battery was totally drained. I recharged it but could I just simply need a new battery rather than a new MSD?

Any help appreciated.

TIA, George

90 Wrangler 4.2L
Reply to
George J. McFadden

George,

I have been in situations where I thought it was the MSD box I had being the problem. It probably isn't your problem. MSD will tell you that they either work, or they don't. If you go to their website

there is a procedure for checking the box to see if it is in fact working, or if you should be sending it to MSD for service or replacement. Chances are that if you are having trouble with an MSD ignition controller, it is probably a loose connection somewhere as opposed to the unit being bad. I've ran them for years in various vehicles, and have yet to ever see one fail. For that matter, I have never even heard of one failing on anyone's vehicle that was actually an internal fault with the unit. These boxes are pretty indestructable. I once accidently grounded one across the terminals on my battery (the fireworks were great) and it still worked perfectly afterwards.

Rick

Reply to
RickA

I have the same ignition box and yes I did have one that went bad. It would just die and not start back for hours or sometimes days. I called MSD and they said send it in. It has a date stamped on the back, it will have a warranty of one year from that date. I bought mine from summit racing but didn't have the receipt or any documentation. MSD replaced it on the 12th month. I believe they sent a returned model, it was one that was cosmetically damaged but worked. It looked new to me, I don't see anything wrong with it. It does work and tests out great, however I have a similar problem as before and can't pinpoint it. I am beginning to think that I have another bad MSD box, but I just cannot believe it. It must be a bad connection somewhere.

Reply to
HomeBrewer