6 to V8 conversion

My son's 90 YJ has the 4.2L six with 5 speed. Is there such a thing as swapping the 6 out for a V8?...and still meeting emissions laws? Could the trans/clutch stay...or would the V8 require a new trans? Any way to get a Chevy small block in it, with emissions equipment?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Sink

As a simple guideline, the Smog Equipment must be either for the motor OR for the vehicle, WHICHEVER IS NEWER. If you put in a '90 motor, then you have to maintain the same level of smog equipment that the motor requires. If you install a pre-'90 motor, you must increase the smog equipment to '90 levels. If you put in a post-'90 motor, the smog equipment of the motor must be fitted in the vehicle.

There is a guy near Fresno (center-state, California) that installs a Ford

5.0L into Jeeps. I have heard a mixed bag of comments, but he should be worth a look ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you use a Service Replacement Block the "motor" has no Model Year. This is also true of engines originally in marine, industrial, ag, aviation service...there's no VIN. Not that they're suitable for Jeeps but a Detroit Diesel has a serial number on the rocker box cover...and is removable.

Reply to
Ted