99 camry, how to remove muffler

I would like to remove or lower the muffler of 99 camry to install a hitch. The muffler is hunged by a rubber like material, but don't see any bolts or nuts. I cannot figure out how to remove it. I need to lower the muffler for few inches only while I am installing a hitch. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Reply to
yk

To remove the rubber doughnut hangers I use a moderately long screwdriver and put it through doughnut and pry on metal hook till I can slip it off. Sometimes I have to pull muffler to one side while doing this. Once one doughnut comes off opposing one is usually easier to remove. reverse procedure to install.

Reply to
edmechanic

I put a tow-bar on my '96 4cyl. It was the medium duty type which used the rear-towing bracket mounts which come with all Camrys, plus two more holes drilled into the spare wheel well. The muffler was not a prob.??

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Following your instruction, I was able to remove the rubber hanger and install a hitch. Thank a lot !

Reply to
yk