Need some carb help

Does anybody know what carb #'s they used in 88 for the 2b Carter. I lost the sticker that had my model number and these goofball parts store guys are killing me. I went to 3 different stores and none of the kits had metering rods!!!!!! The last kit I bought included everything....and now all of a sudden they don't. If I had the # they might be able to cross reference and find another kit that would work. FYI there is a number on the side of my carb and nobody knows what it is...2373. Eh who knows. Hell I even went back to the store where I bought my first carb kit and they hand me the same POS kit. All 3 stores had the same thing.....gaskets, accelerator pump and a cardboard ruler UGH. None of them had metering rods...float bowls or those ever handy extra clips for the linkages.

This all started last week when my carb started acting up. I would be driving ( any speed any gear any time) and suddenly it would cut out but never die. I would just kick in the clutch.....pump the gas a few times and it would clear up. Well today I took the carb apart and found a bent metering rod. After noooooo success finding a kit that included these....I tried to bend it back and used a file to deburr the end. I put it back on and now it won't idle for crap....looked down the carb and its dripping fuel like crazy. Guess I just made the problem worse.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

L.W.(ßill)

Humm....I could have sworn the last kit I bough had the needles. Might be the needle valve. I didn't touch the floats. I don't know what I did really. I just bent the needle back and it looked ok. All I know is there's a ton of fuel dripping down the venturi and it won't idle. LoL sounds kinda like it has a huge cam....and yes I did check for vac leaks and couldn't see or hear any.

Brian

88 YJ

Brian

Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Your first post doesn't show up in my newsreader...

You are either describing a dead needle and seat for the float or totally plugged up idle tubes.

I have never seen a kit that came with the metering rods.... Just the float needle and seat.

If the idle tubes are blocked, they need a physical ream to clear them, chemicals just won't do it.

There also is one sneaky vacuum leak that can happen. The canister purge valve if blown will make a vacuum leak you can't hear. To check it, at idle trace the PCV line to the back of the carb. There you will find a T fitting or a solenoid thing. Trace the other line from here to the top of the canister. At idle pinch this line closed. The idle shouldn't change, if it does, the canister is toast.

Mike

Wranglerjeep1 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I fixed it....don't know what I did different? I took it apart again and double checked everything. Couldn't see anything wrong. Put the carb back on and it fired right up and runs good. I donno? Yesterday was just one of them days.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1