New Clutch has a "break in period"

Part of my engine installation was to install a brand new clutch. The clutch pressure plate was balanced with the flywheel at the machine shop.

When I got my jeep from the R&R guy, for the first 10 - 20 miles or so, when I came to a stop and pressed on the clutch I felt the jeep continue to move forward after I stopped to where I had to put on the brakes to hold it. At first I thought I was on an incline but later I made sure I wasn't and sure enough, it was moving forward. Now the forward motion is gone but this was something I hadn't experienced before. Is this normal? Will a brand new clutch do such things?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

It probably wasn't bled correctly. There is air in the hydrolic line which prevented proper actuation when you hit the pedel.. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

No, that is 'not' normal.

The clutch should be adjusted before you burn it out.

You should have 1/2" of free play or flop at the top of the pedal and the clutch should grab half way along the pedal travel on a CJ7.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As other posters have said, not normal, probably a bleeding problem, or perhaps some binding in the pilot bearing. But the answer to your question, Yes there is a break in period for a new clutch. For the first few hundred miles you should take it very easy on the gas pedal so everything seats in and you do not glaze the disk.

Jeff '91 YJ, '00 XJ

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

Sounds like the clutch likage needs adjusting. or bleed the air out of the clutch slave .

john

Reply to
johnny