New Respect for My 95 YJ

Head on crash with a Geo Prizm on the way home from work tonight. Totaled the Prizm, luckily the three kids in the Geo walked away. I drove the YJ home thanks to a substantial brush guard.

Steve

95 YJ 98 ZJ
Reply to
Steve Landis

Hope everyone was OK.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

YJ pix? Before and after? Head on. Wow, I hope everyone is okay.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Well everyone walked away. The driver of the prizm had a bloody mouth and his girlfriend broke her nose, lots of blood. I am fine, the seatbelt harness stopped me from hitting the steering wheel. The brush guard, front bumper, and fenders are a little banged up. The hood opens and closes just fine. I drove it home at 55mph with no problems. Still need to go over it real well, check the frame etc. The prizm will never see the road again. I was surprised and pleased at how well the YJ took the hit.

Steve

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Steve Landis

Follow-up on the accident. Frame bent upwards a little but my auto body guy says he can pull it back down. Here's the rest of his list: Needs both fenders, right wheel flare, front bumper, filler behind bumper, driving lights, brush guard, left side panel, jeep decal, wrangler, decal, right spring, refinish, alignment. - $3,200. Oh yeah, did I mention the little pr**k that hit me had no insurance and a suspended license?

Questions: Can I just do the right spring or shouldn't I replace both? The right shackle is bent and will probably need to be replaced too. The YJ is stock 2.5 5 spd I guess I have an opportunity now to make some changes but not interested in anything too radical. Can I upgrade the springs without doing a lift? Will probably do shocks too.

I'm still driving it around town.

Thanks Steve

95 YJ 98 ZJ

Steve Landis wrote:

Reply to
SteveL

Reply to
Steve Landis

I would probably feel a little uneasy about replacing one spring too. Then there are the bushings. They are going to wear out, and your steering will all go to hell, sometime down the road. I just don't like the idea of having things wear out unevenly. My call is either to replace both front springs, or get the bushings replaced on the left side, at the same time that you replace the right spring. Then things will be sort of even.

Unless you want to install a plow, a winch or a lift, there is no real reason to "upgrade" the front springs. The stock ones are just dandy for most uses.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I would change both front springs. A 10 year old spring has sagged some for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain

I got rear-ended by a Honda Civic, which bent my bumperettes a little and totalled the Honda.

I had the guy's license plate number imprinted on my fuel tank skid plate for months afterward.

Despite its flaws, the YJ is plenty tough.

Reply to
yjarray

It makes you wonder if the lack of insurance and license is related to his driving abilities...

Has this all come to a conclusion in traffic court?

The local traffic court is run by the mayor, he sentences offenders in these cases to time in the county recreational facility and them reduces sentences if they have made compensation.

It is amazing that people, or their families, can come up with cash if it will keep them out of jail.

Reply to
Billy Ray

I'd just by the parts and rebuild it in the garage over a couple of weekends. All that you describe as damaged can be easily acquired through such companies as Four Wheel Drive Hardware Inc. I would also ask the judge to sentence the kid to community service to you and have him do the work under your supervision.

Reply to
reconair

LOL!!!! I love my YJ! Great story! I want to get rid of my bumperettes and install an Anvil bumper with tow hooks. I wonder if the hooks will bounce and be noisey? :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have to file a civil suit with the District Justice. Probably won't be heard until Feb '06 and then I'll find out that he can't pay and he'll go to jail but that won't help me. At any rate he'll have a judgment against him that will follow him until he satisfies it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis