Winch Woes

Got a new selonoid pack on my warn MX8085 and had the MRV-B-7 rebuilt at a local shop. New armature, brushes, ect.

Re-installed everything today and was in the process of spooling in my cable. About 1/4 of the way through, the winch slowed down a lot, but kept pulling. About 30 seconds later, the selonoids just clicked rapidly, no winch movement. The power in cable was getting RED hot. Let it cool, while manually spooling in about 30 ft of cable. Tried again, no dice. Power in just gets really hot. Everything is hooked up properly.

There are three poles on the winch. Two on the far right side of the motor, one isolated on the left. The guy at the rebuild shop put a jumper cable from my battery on either of the two at the right, and shorted it to the one on the left with a screwdriver to bypass the selonoids to show me the motor worked. I removed the seloniods and tried it this way, producing only really big sparks. Putting any kind of power to the pole on the left produces only exorberant amounts of sparks.

What gives?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It sort of sounds like you toasted it

Reply to
Smitty

I dont understand how i would have toasted it.. It was a fresh rebuild I picked up today.. I used it for all of 30 seconds.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Now if I read you right, the motor works properly when the guy from the rebuild shop hooks it up using a jumper cable, but not when you have it wired into your system. This could be a poor connection at the battery or a bad battery cable. Or what Bill said.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It worked properly when I wired up my selonoids - but only for 30 seconds. Now it doesn't even work the way he showed me.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to