night rain

hey everyone, when im driving home at night, and its raining, i cant see after another car has passed. i live out in the woods, but get on a route to get there, so its a 50 mph speed limit, and some curvy roads. with all the rain theres a big glare on my windshield, and for a second or too after the other car passes, i cant see anything, which is scary. i slow down, but it doesnt help much. Is it because my Tj's windshield doesnt have much slant, or something else? how can i help this? rain-x, would fog lights help? thanks for any input! Nicole

Reply to
Nicole Mason

Rain-x will help, BUT we just had a big discussion on it. You might want to look at the archives through

and check it out. I would say it was 51% against and 49% for! We all agreed that it helped but it had side effects. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Nicole Mason did pass the time by typing:

Make sure your wipers are new and your windsheld is kept squeeky clean and free of dirt/bugs/etc. Fogs will help a bit but the one thing that will help more is to slow down. Speed limits are just that and they are based on dry sunny conditions, not rainy night.

Reply to
DougW

i realize this, and will go about ten under if i need to, but either way if you cant see or focus on the white line its a scary thing, especially when i have 20/20 vision, maybe i have bad night eyes or something? i would think im too young for that though

Reply to
Nicole Mason

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

hi nicole, i have the same problem, and always associated it with a mild form of night blindness. that may not be the case at all, but when an oncoming car gets on me the reflection of the lights on my wet windshield totally blinds me for a second. the only thing ive found that helps is to stay at home when its raining, which isnt a real option. if you do find a solution that actually works, please share it.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Well, I won't ask your age, but I'm 30 and have noticed a bit of night blindness, espessialy in poor weather conditions. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

he used rain-x on his eyes...

Reply to
Joe

What happens if its isn't raining? Can you see or no? Is it just because there are a million bubbles on your windshield causing you to essentially look at a very bright washed out windshield? I like rainx myself. It makes my crappy wipers work a little better and throw the water off instead of smearing it all over my windshield.

If you're unsure about rainx (and this is the first time I've heard about anyone complaining about it) then put it on the passenger's side of the windshield and have a friend drive your jeep around at night when its raining with you in the passenger seat and judge for yourself if it will work.

Take a multvitamin every day unless you have a medical reason not to. Certain drugs will make you sensitive to light and decrease your night vision in general. Talk to your doctor about 'em if you're taking any.

Reply to
Valued User

if its just dark with no rain then im ok, the glare on the road in the rain makes it so i cant focus on the white line, and when my wipers go it spreads the water out, and creates one big glare. i think ill try to rain-x and new wiper blades and super clean washer fluid. i'll set up a dr's appt. and see what they say.. if i have night blindness at 18, i'll feel like im falling apart already like my jeep :) Thanks for all the input guys! Nicole

Reply to
Nicole Mason

Nicole Mason did pass the time by typing:

Good wipers shouldn't spread the water at all except maby round the edges a bit. Your wipers are hard/old.

If you had night blindness ordinary night driving would affect you.

One thing that can help is clear polarized driving glasses. They eliminate oncomming glare and make it easier to see for some.

Reply to
DougW

He used it on the inside of the windshield?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

I also live in a mountainous forested area. When the road is wet, most of the light reflects off of it, and you will only see light that hits an object and reflects back, like a skunk, rock, tree, upside-down Jeep, etc. In the worst conditions, you don't see the road at all. I have my right headlamp adjusted out to the right, so that it lights up more of the roadside. If I know where the edges are, I can stay between them. Jeep headlamps are pretty high off of the road, running foglamps as low to the ground as is practical for you would help to spot objects. If you don't off-road, or go into deep snow, mounting below the bumper would be best. You don't really need to see the pavement, it's the objects on it that cause problems. When I get near that blind spot, I look to see that there won't be a head-on, and then I look at the right shoulder of the road, and try to avoid the natural tendency of looking at the headlamps of the oncoming vehicle.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Orange (Amber) lenses will also help with the glare in rain, ice, and snow. I always carry mine in the Jeep for just that reason. I have problems seeing if its really wet and there is a lot of traffic - its the glare from the lights that is the problem. Deffinitely try new wiper blades.

Reply to
jbjeep

LOL Nathan, too funny.... my night vision is lacking, too. And can't see shit in the Jeep sometimes (like Nicole mentions) in heavy rains, no matter how new my wipers are (although I'm fine in the wife's Neon, so there really *IS* something specific to the Jeep in this I think).

Just reminded me of one of the reasons I ended up being a 60-gunner at Bragg... they started me as a driver (we had Jeeps still at this time, switched to Hummers half way thru my enlistment), and I was driving using blackouts (no goggles). Drove the Jeep right into a ditch, and pretty much threw the guy currently manning the 60 out of the vehicle. We got out OK, but as I was climbing back into the driver's seat, Sergeant said, 'Moller, get on the 60'. Match made in heaven after that hehehehe.

Anyway, back to the original post... one thing I have noticed is that the stock headlights are very weak IMO. Maybe try some type of Halogen replacement?

Dave

David C. Moller

Don't know where and how much your have been driving but is your windshield pitted? We get a lot of road salt and sand flying around here, just sandblasts the windshields. The vertical position of the Jeep windshield makes it go bad much faster than other vehicles. 50k miles of daily driving in a Jeep and you need a new one. Others get 80k or more. Once they get pitted, they are a real bear to see out of with glare from on coming vehicles. Your eye compensates, then you can't see a thing for a couple seconds after the car passes.

Drive around beh> hey everyone,

Reply to
Roy J

If you smoke, you will have a coating inside which will glare also. joh

Reply to
johnny