night rain

Some old-timer tips: also keep the INSIDE of the windshield squeeky clean. Meeting on-coming traffic, focus on the shoulder right and away from the approaching lights. Some of my (ahem!) more elderly friends swear by clear polarized glasses - I've never considered them for night use but they sure help cut the glare of the water surface when fishing.

As for age, time waits for no one. I've had problems seeing the white center stripe on wet roads for as long as I can remember, especially if there are any oncoming lights - even those too far away to really affect you directly. The shoulder stripe, if there is one, is almost always easier to see. That 'deer in the headlights' fascination with the approaching lights is likely the biggest problem - you are looking only for the center line and that puts you looking straight at the approaching headlights and their glare. I wouldn't blame the Jeep windshield particularly unless it's a simple question of proper cleaning.

Bill H. Notes some similar tips later > i realize this, and will go about ten under if i need to, but either way if

Reply to
Will Honea

My CJ gets that sometimes. It is from road splash and takes a long time to wear off once the wipers start working. I have found giving them a few good shots with washer fluid can help clear it. Once I have that road film cleared away, I then have no issues.

Mike

Nicole Mas>

Reply to
Mike Romain

or amber night driving glasses (look like rather gay sunglasses, but they do work).

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

When you get washer fluid get Rain-X then when you wash your windshield it puts a coat of Rain-X on.

Reply to
Jim Downey

i replaced my wipres last year? is that the normal life span for them?

Reply to
Nicole Mason

depends. a year is pushing it in areas with ice/snow. Winters will kill blades quickly.

Reply to
Joe

Also if your windshield is pitted (like mine is) the blades may only last about a year. Also if your in an area with lots of dust/sand/dirt.

I usually run AMCO? blades but will try some of those silicone blades next time even if they cost more. If they last longer it may be worth it.

Anyhow, blades are cheap compared to bent metal.

Reply to
DougW

For ordinary rubber wipers, one year is a pretty long lifespan. What all the air pollution doesn't do to the poor babies, ordinary old sunlight will do. Sometimes you can rejuvenate them by taking an abrasive household cleanser [or 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper] to the edges every month or so.

The silicon variety stay soft longer, but even those wear in a coupla years and also benefit from carefully exposing new rubber on their business edges.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Anco. Check out J.C. Whitney for the silicones. Last time I looked they were a bit cheaper than at the local parts shops. And if you must, J.C. Whitney also has colored silicone wipers. Plus they are about the only place reliable for that little 12 inch wiper blade on the back of a ZJ.

Amen. Mostly what bothers my eyes at night is the glare coming from every angle with water on the windshield as it gets hit by the doofus in the BMW with those !@#$!@#$ white torchlights set too high. Worse than driving on the Vegas strip after a couple too many 'shrooms.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I replace wiper blades every 6 months. In the fall, I put new winter blades on. In the spring I put new regular wiper blades on.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

So will heat, sun, and UV rays.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Nicole,

Other ocular problems that can intensify glare are dirty contacts/contact lens overwear, congenital cataracts, and corneal scarring. But it sounds like your only problem is light/dark adaptation speed. Congenital stationary night blindness (which is unlikely because you have no problem without the rain) can cause light/dark adaptation problems as well as retinitis pigmentosa, but both of these conditions are rare. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, certain medications can also interfere with L/D adaptation. The old RAF trick of eating carrots has some merit, because it boosts the amount of certain pigments available to the retina/macula allowing it to recover faster. A good multivitamin may help if you have any dietary deficiencies.

After ruling out dirty/worn wipers, dirty/filmy windshield, and pitted windshield, one trick that can help is to lower the intensity of your dash lights as far as you can and still see them adequately. This will allow slightly better light/dark adaptation. Another is to use low beams only in the rain.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I find driving with my eyes works well ... seems the natural thing to do at night ... may the force be with you.

Reply to
bowgus

Oops ... musta dozed off ... driving with my eyes CLOSED works well :-)

contacts/contact

deficiencies.

Reply to
bowgus