No offense to the fine engineers at Jeep

...after all they make vehicles that allow you to go offroad, but more importantly get back on road.

But who, or what bean-counting genius thought a little rubber band inside a plastic plug was an adequate liquid seal for a connector stuck down on the bottom of the drive train where it frequently gets dragged thru literally miles and miles of slushy snow, dunked in creeks, etc. etc. etc.

Have they never seen or considered military grade waterproof connectors.

[intermittent speedometer, works fine when hot, but not if cold and/or wet]
Reply to
Lon

Probably the same bright fellow who used a short wire to route the O2 sensor on my ZJ, putting the plug up next to the exhaust header or that click-on plastic with rubber o-rings are a far superior option to say AN....

Probably, but the beancounters like to save $10 or so on the whole vehicle.

GPS? :)

Reply to
DougW

Shade-tree fix: clean both halves of the connector really well, then fill the cavity with silicone grease (Sparkplug grease) and re-connect it. That takes care of the water as it pushes the grease into the wire channels during reconnect.

Reply to
Will Honea

Ah, Will ... ya beat me to it.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Funny you would mention that.

About two years ago the ignition module gave up on my '85 CJ, which was purchased new. When I pulled the connectors apart, they were filled with that gooky stuff, and looked brand new inside after 24 winters.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

I used Dow electrical grease, having great access to electronics stuff. Still, keeping the GPS in the Jeep for a while until I trust the speedo not to crap out on moist days again. It did snow Sunday up on Peak to Peak [on July freaking 17th!] but not enough to slush up much of anything.

Reply to
Lon