Noisy in 4wd

My '94 GC is a little noisier in 4wd as opposed to 2wd.. more noticeable when cold and

4wd first engaged.. as it warms up, the noise backs off, but never totally disappears.. on overrun, it is relatively quiet.. do I have a serious problem here?..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Mike Hall did pass the time by typing:

What transfer case and 4wd selection are you in?

Reply to
DougW
242 Selectrac.. full time 4wd..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Rule of thumb: If you cannot drown the gear noise out by turning up the radio, then you have a problem.

But think about what happens when you engage 4WD. You're adding quite a few more driven parts to the drive train, all of which will contribute some small amount of noise. Of course it will sound different.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

That is what I thought, and what the user manual suggests also.. its just that somebody claimed their JGC to silent in 4wd, and you start to get paranoic about things..

-- History is >

Reply to
Mike Hall

At 12/5/03 09:18, Mike Hall bespake thusly:

I would guess the version of 4wd that offers 2wd would be a bit more noticeable when you engage the front axle. Mine only has the 4HI/4LO style transfer case so can't compare. On it, I don't really notice any transfer case noise, just the sorta whistle from the limited slip rear axle. However the rest of the vehicle drive train isn't a Lexus...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

My NP-231 is quiet. I must have gone in and out of 4wd several dozen times driving home this afternoon in the snow. It all froze to the road- accidents everywhere.

Reply to
Tim Hayes

Actually it was me and my XJ with the 242. Mine is pretty quiet. I cant hear it over my Goodyear MTRs :) There is virtually no difference in sound while in full time for me. On the other hand, If your transfer case fluid is Red and not burnt smelling with no foam in there, Im sure its fine. Maybe check the level, if its a bit low it might make some extra noise. Mine used to get noisy when it leaked before I resealed it. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I will get some noisy tires then, cos the radio is pissing me off somewhat.. will also check the level of fluid.. to be honest, it is not that bad, but I just wanted to see what others said about it.. ty to all who offered advice..