Noisy lifters

2006 Grand Cherokee. 4.7l. Why is it that when I start it, I am getting some lifter noise on one side of the engine. It only lasts a short while then goes away. Anything I can do to get rid of it? It has 74k miles on it. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
GGinn

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Also stay away from Fram filters known problem with Liberty

NAPA Gold is a Wix filter and worth the money...

Reply to
AJ

Could this possibly be an exhaust leak? I replaced the filter with a Mopar filter. No change. Will engine is running, I get a strong odor of exhaust while under the hood.

Reply to
GGinn

An exhaust "tick" can sound like a lifter and many times will go away as the exhaust heats up and the metal expands.. The short answer is yes could be !

Reply to
AJ

Really? I've been using Fram oil filters for 27+years... Never had a problem.

BTW, the op is talking about a Grand Cherokee, not a KJ!

Would of been nice if a KJ had the >

Reply to
socks09

Nice try....

Reply to
Hassan Bin Sobur

An exhaust leak can sound exactly like a lifter tap. In the older 4.0, headers cracking at the weld would do this - the noise would even go away at first as the tubes heated up (but not for long). A piece of hose that allows you to isolate the sound will find that quickly as you pass over the welds in the exhaust headers.

Reply to
Will Honea

Well had the Jeep at the shop today. No exhaust leaks. They are scheduling another visit next week to probe the motor over. I hope it goes well..

Reply to
GGinn

The 3.7 V6 is a derivative of the 4.7 V8 ... same valve gear etc.

Reply to
reboot

What is your proof of this claim? Urban legend?

I've used Fram filters since Richard Petty began racing and I've never had a failure on

21 Mopars 1 Ford 1 Rambler 1 Chevy 1 XJ Jeep

Sure, I've seen the site that declares the "cardboard" piece will fail, but think on this:

Back in the 70's, I was working as a forklift mechanic for a muffler factory in central IN.

One day, I had a paper coffee cup I was using to hold brake fluid to refill the master cylinder on a 1961 Yale-Towne 20,000 lb capacity forklift since the cup fit in the restriced space better than the regular bottle (yes, the cup was clean. The guy that serviced the coffee machines would change out the cups once a month for sanitary reasons)

The cup was nearly full and I accidentally set it under a drive tire. I let the jack down and the tire rested on the cup and stopped the wheel 3" off the floor.

I raised it back up, pulled the cup out and drove the Forklift over to a shipping scale. That thin paper cup held up 1500 pounds of weight.

The cardboard in a Fram filter also has the pressure spread evenly over the surface, just like that cup. It's basic pressure laws: Pressure exerts itself evenly over a surface, or in the case of the cup, in all directions.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Proof is fairly straight forward .. had a Liberty and used Fram ... after the engine warmed up I would periodically get a low oil pressure warning. Changed to a NAPA filter and the problem went away. I thought it might have been a one time occurrence so tried Fram again with the same result. I had the oil changed at a quick change place that claimed they did not use Fram and again the low pressure warning. When I checked it turned out that they used a re-badged Fram. So 3 out of 3 is a pretty good indicator. The cost of oil filters is so low that why would you use the cheapest filter available?? Especially given the fact that modern engines have such tight tolerances ie. 5W20 oil.

Reply to
AJ

Ah, so I'm to take your word in those three instances that Frams are junk, when I've been using Fram since the mid 60's with no problems.

Look at the dates: mid sixties to present. My newest vehicle, in model year, was a 95 Chrysler Lebaron GTC and it got Frams from the day my son bought it, then traded it for my 79 D-150 and when I sold it, it still had a Fram on it. No probs ever.

Sorry, three instances doesn't make proof in my book.

Btw, Cheap price doesn't always mean cheap quality.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Whatever ... try "low oil pressure fram" in your favorite search engine and see what other people have said. I don't really care if you believe me or not. I also have had a LOT of cars and still do from a 32 street rod to an 08 JK. I raced SCCA and rebuilt SB Chevys as a hobby. While Cheap price doesn't always mean cheap quality it is a good indicator.

Reply to
AJ

Yep, already looked at them and the "testing" is suspicious, like, taking the cardboard from a supported state in the filter and applying pressure either in a single concentrated point or without cannister type support on the opposite side although, some are even more suspicious since all they show is a cut open cannister and a torn cardboard ... did they tear it after opening the filter or while opening it????

Do remind me later to be impressed ... Chevies are easy to work on because of parts availablity and because they're easy to work on ... any high school automoitve class can teach you to fix them ... stand back and throw parts at it.

Mopars, otoh, require more skill and my preferred vehicle for that reason ... that and they are the brands most banned, or factored out of competition, by GM and Ford racers.

So ya got an 08 ... wow! Still paying on it are ya? I listed my vehicles to show what I've owned, not to impress anyone.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

I am really impressed... I also worked on a Mopar sponsored car but that has nothing to do with it...

The last car I had a payment on was my '65 vette.. again no big deal but you seem to think so.

Reply to
AJ

Actually, I don't. My last car payment was in 74 on a 72 Dodge Charger my ex got in the divorce serttlement ... and her kid brother quickly blew up. Such is life.

My point was that all online tests and claims about Fra are suspicious at best, you had three fail. None of that gives you the evidence you need to make a flat claim that fram filters are junk.

Especially when millions of them don't fail at all. If they did, Fram would be out of business, don't you think?

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Btw, I just happen to think of something ... oil filters, unless they leak to the outside, have no bearing on oil pressures.

The oil would still go in the inlet and out the outlet ... just not filtered, which would eventually wipe out your bearings and _reduce_ oil pressure and make for some nice banging noises.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Reply to
RoyJ

That's a new one to me.

But, if your oil is doing it's job, then you're covered.

Unfortunately, modern oils lack zinc to protect flat tappet style lifters properly so I use the high mileage type oils in all my non-roller cam engines, inclding my lawnmower. Many of those brands still have zinc or an EPA accpted compound.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran