Noisy lifters

That is the common conception but on some Libertys at least they sometimes, but not always show low oil pressure after partial/full warmup at idle. Never did isolate the problem other than it was only with Fram or rebadged Fram filters. Could be a bypass valve not seating correctly ???? Fram cost $3, Wix cost $7. I use about 4 a year on each car so the added cost is less than $20 on a $25,000 car .. seems a no brainer to me just like synthetic oil changed at dino oil intervals. I was not the only one that had the problem.

Reply to
AJ

IOW, you still don't really know, but a filter change with fresh oil made a difference?

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

3 times a filter/oil change made a difference so I would say that is a pretty good circumstantial case. I also got the original diagnosis from people that had had the same problem. There could be many reasons or variants but the simple math is $25000 vehicle vs $4 difference in filter price. I have also had multiple mechanics disparage Fram.. I got no stake in the game .. Fram is the cheapest filter out there and while this is no direct correlation of quality it is a good indicator.
Reply to
AJ

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

And I use, with the exception of the 95 Lebaron, 10W-40 or 20W-50 high mileage oils. I used factory recommended in it because it was a Mitsubishi V-6 ... and I didn't have much faith in it (and really I should have been more concerned with that danged A-604 trans!!!!)

Never any starting noises (for example, one engine was a 485,000 mile 318, another a 450,000 mile 225 Slant Six) with Fram filters and high mileage oils.

Btw, my fuel economies were excellent.

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Yes, It is! It's just too bad Chrysler didn't offer that engine as an option for the KJ. And due to the design of the pistons, the 3.7 liter engine is not "Tuner" friendly. Shame really!

Reply to
socks09

Like I mentioned, I've never had a problem with Fram oil filters in the 27+ years of owning and operating motor vehicles. And, as I have mentioned here before, I use them in my Classic Austin Mini's (Where the engine oil is also used for the transmission) for the last 27+ years...

Reply to
socks09

Hi guys.

Turned out to be a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Got it fixed yesterday.

Reply to
GGinn