NP231 Speedo housing bolt size

I installed a Tom Woods SYE today but a bolt broke off that holds the speedo housing to the front of the case. Would any of you know off hand the thread size and size of the bolt.

I'm trying to avoid pulling off the whole housing,

Thanks

Reply to
ufatbastehd

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

You might be able to back it out with an extractor, but I'd be prepared to take the housing off again. :/

As for the size, the easiest way is to yank one of the good bolts and take it to the hardware store. Then buy a whole new set for the case and go new all the way around. If one sheared the others might be real close or from a bad batch.

Reply to
DougW

You might be able to grab ahold of it with a stud puller or a pair of vice grips with that housing off. Your other recourse is tack weld a nut to the exposed threads (if any) or try using easy-outs.

Bill probably meant 3/16" from the look of it.

I think I might recommend replacing all the bolts also..... new ones of good quality can't cost much.

Reply to
billy ray

Afaik the metric conversion was well under way long before the Daimler-Chrysler merger. Both are German names anyway, so I don't see what your problem is. My 1989 Suburban has metric fasteners everywhere. Remember, the metric system was a French idea in the first place.

If this bolt is important (And why would there be a bolt in the first place if it weren't?) then probably the best place to have the broken stub removed is a machine shop.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

In 1866, Congress legalized its use in an act reading: It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing, or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are weights or measures of the metric system.

As a result, the U. S. has been "metric" since 1866, but only in the sense that Americans have been free since that time to use the metric system as much as they like. Although there has always been popular resistance to changing the traditional measures, the metric system has actually enjoyed strong support from American business leaders and scientists since the late nineteenth century. In 1875, the U.S. was one of the original signers of the Treaty of the Meter, which established the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM). This agency administers the International System of Units, the official version of the metric system. American scientists and engineers have always been among the leaders in improving, extending, and revising the metric system. The general public, however, has lagged far behind.

In 1893, Congress adopted the metric standards, the official meter and kilogram bars supplied by BIPM, as the standards for all measurement in the U.S. This didn't mean that metric units had to be used, but since that time the customary units have been defined officially in terms of metric standards. Currently, the foot is legally defined to be exactly 0.3048 meter and the pound is legally defined to equal exactly 453.59237 grams.

In 1901, Congress established the National Bureau of Standards (NBS), now known as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), to support technical standards for American industry and commerce, including the maintenance of standards of weight and measurement. In 1964, NBS announced:

Henceforth it shall be the policy of the National Bureau of Standards to use the units of the International System (SI), as adopted by the 11th General Conference of Weights and Measures, except when the use of these units would obviously impair communication or reduce the usefulness of a report.

Sad as it seems..... the "French Method" is the official US means of measurement...the only one we ever had.

Reply to
billy ray

For the record its 8m-1.25 A size I can't find anywhere in NYC so I'll order on line and drill the old one once I have the correct size bolt in my hands

So if anybody needs to know its here now!

Reply to
ufatbastehd

For the record its 8m-1.25 A size I can't find anywhere in NYC so I'll order on line and drill the old one once I have the correct size bolt in my hands

So if anybody needs to know its here now!

Reply to
ufatbastehd

Go to Lowes they have that size bolt, also in stainless but go with the grade so it will be strong enough.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks I got the bolt from this site they are great

Thursday and they arrived Friday. Lowes is an hr round trip from my house

Reply to
ufatbastehd

Just an update: Pulled the cover yesterday and was able to get the bolt out via the the rear of the TCASE housing. Lucky I did pull it as one of the 4 tabs on the oil pump had broken off, so now waiting for a new oil pump. Could not find the tab though pulled everything out of the rear of the tcase and nothing. I'm guessing it fallen out when I was trying to get the rear case housing on and I did'nt notice.

Reply to
ufatbastehd