Nutter Bypass

How do I find out if the nutter bypass is legal to do in my state (NC)?

Reply to
Jim85CJ

L.W.(ßill)

Forgive my ignorance, what the heck is a "nutter bypass"??

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It is not legal for a mechanic to alter the emissions on vehicles in most places.

The disclaimer on the Nutter page says 'for off road use only'.

However, the 258's Ford emissions computer was a failed last gasp attempt to get a carburetor to pass emissions everywhere coming at a time when mechanics have forgotten how to tune a carb.

When it was new and everything was working perfect, it worked at a cost of at least a 25% cut in power and mileage.

If you take the engine back to a pre 82 tune (no computer) and tune it up, it will get sweet emissions numbers and you get that 25% power loss back.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

My point exactly.... ;-)

Meanwhile, the 'nutter' just involves adding a couple new wires and tuning up the engine like an 81.

It is easily reversible if you 'had' to. You could just put crimp plugs and sockets on the wires.

On my last emissions I passed, I got 15 ppm HC and 0.16 CO. NOx isn't tested for on a CJ up here so no Cat needed.

Oh, the big trick for doing that valve cover or any other part with RTV silicone is to do something totally foolish and follow the directions on the package....

It takes 24 hours for RTV to cure at 70 F. If you put any liquid against it or even breath on the sucker before 24 hours is up, it 'will' leak.

As mentioned, I only have the two top center nuts holding mine on, my head isn't tapped out for bolts. No leaks.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain