O2 Sensor - How important? HELP!

Thanks in advance for your help. My 96 JGC Laredo is spitting out the codes for the O2 sensor circuit and MAP sensor problems (engine light is on)- I tested the MAP sensor with a multitester, and it checks out - I tested the O2 sensor and it reads 0.0 volts continous. I am about to go on a 5 hour trip and am wondering if I should definately replace it or just ignore the engine light?? (could use an extra $50 for my trip)

Please help! Im leaving in a couple of hours!

Reply to
Amadeus

You could use that money up in extra gas if the computer thinks it is running too lean and puts it full rich or burn out a piston if it thinks it's running too rich and holds it lean.

I would change it.

Isn't it always just before a trip that something stupid lets go? With me it always seems to be a u-joint gone...

Mike

Amadeus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Not replacing the 02 sensor could or will make the engine run rich, possibably killing the catalitic converter in the process. Plus changing it out could increase your gas milage, a slight savings.

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Kevin in Iowa

Amadeus did pass the time by typing:

Your ZJ is going to run rich and your milage will suffer. For the short-term you might be OK but long term you will melt the catalytic convertor and carbon up your engine.

If I were you, I would replace the O2 sensor. Marginal is one thing, dead is something else.

NAPA has them.

Reply to
DougW