Odometer accuracy

95 XJ Sport

Is it possible for the Odometer to be inaccurate while the Speedometer IS accurate?

I've tested the Speedometer against a GPS unit and the indicated speed was almost a perfect match to the GPS, but I never thought to verify the odometer.

In the eight months I've owned the vehicle, I have supposedly put THIRTY thousand ++ miles on it ...!?!?!?!

Granted, I did drive out to the Salton Sea once (200+ miles one way), but there is no way I've been averaging 100 to 130 miles a DAY!

Besides a drive test, is there a mechanical method for testing the odometer??

TIA

Noneyabusiness

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You can verify the odometer with the very same GPS. They have mile markers. Reset your tripmeter when the GPS mile marker turns over.

Or, you can look at your gas card statements. 30,000 miles divided by 15 mpg. = 2000 gal. Now, 2000 gals. x $3/gal. = $6000.00 in eight months.

Wow! That should be apparent! ;)

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > 95 XJ Sport

Reply to
twaldron

Does your odometer read in km maybe?

If not, the GPS will track distance as well.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike have you ever seen, or heard of, a Jeep speedometer that read correctly from the factory?

Reply to
billy ray

Well you know... Nope.

However, 'both' of my speedometers and odometers are exactly right on with the tires I currently run. Just by pure fluke.

Maybe he has 215's or 50 series on it where as my XJ's speedo is dead on with oversized P235's on it. (the glove box sticker says P225's are the largest stock for mine)

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I've done two 'tests' on my speedometer... kinda...

The PoPo in the next own south has one of those radar gun on a display trailer deals that they use for citizen education....

It seems my speedometer is at least 10% slow with stock size tires

Reply to
billy ray

I've got 235's.

I will be trying the mile-marker test later today, but I have a feeling that someone transposed numbers when they recorded the milage. They wrote down 269,xxx but it must have been 296,xxx (and I don't remember the exact milage, but this makes sense), which would mean that I have only put 5000 or so miles on it since last October.

I need to see if the DMV will tell me what the milage was when the title went from the previous owner to the used car lot...

Noneyabusiness