Uh oh, Here We Go Again!

I know this has been discussed here before, but I'm going to bring it up again: Is it too late to switch over from dino oil to a synthetic blend at 28K? The model year is 2002 and I've had the oil changed on or about every 3K miles. Also, does the system have to be flushed? TIA

Reply to
JEEPMAN

Matthew Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You will find that for the first few oil changes the oil is darker and dirtier than what you have been led to believe with synthetic oils. This is because it is cleaning away at the sludge and varnish that has collected over the last 4 years/28,000 miles.

Welcome to the dark side....

Reply to
billy ray

Why would you want to?

Jeep engines have the reputation of running up to 300K or so using regular old oil that gets changed when it is 'supposed' to get changed.

'Most' of the so called synthetic is 'fake' synthetic. The oil companies went to court to get the definition of 'synthetic' changed so they can slap the label on any old crap and charge 3X as much for it. It has turned into a total marketing scam.

My $0.02 for ya.

Mike

Mike Romain

Unless you are operating your vehicle under severe operating conditions, you are flushing money down the toilet changing oil every 3,000 miles. Just make sure that the oil is hot when drained, so you don't get sludge.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Well... My engines don't think so Earle.

When my engines are down a liter of oil and I check the odometer, they are usually due for the 3-4K mike change. If I don't change the oil and just add a liter, both engines seem to start using oil pretty fast, like in the 500-1000 mile per liter range instead of the first liter used which lasted over 3K.

I think the oil breaks down at that point and physically gets thinner or it sure acts that way.

Most older engines I have owned were like this.

Mike

Mike Romain

That would be "severe operating conditions" of some kind. Lots of conditions can make it that, like rust belt, water in the air, cold temperatures at night, short trips, maybe you're running a little rich. You could have a chemical analysis done, or keep doing what you are doing. This guy is talking about 3k oil changes since new, and worrying about whether the system needs to be "flushed". I seriously doubt that that is the case, unless of course he lives in a cold, wet area too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think the flush was just in case they don't mix. It isn't needed, Dino oil mixes with either the real or the fake synthetic.

My engines see short trips and cold so they choke is on more than normal or the injection is still in 'choke' or cold run mode.

Also figure I buy beaters. I seldom pay more than $50.00 for one. My latest Cherokee cost me a hundred bucks. I give them some TLC and the odd kick and curse and usually get 3 to 10 more years out of them.... I normally sell them as parts cars or in the 88's case it will go to the crusher.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

I'd like to do that too but I didn't learn enough words in the Marine Corps to make a hundred buck Cherokee run, you must have a truly spectacular vocabulary! ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

"Earle Horton" wrote in news:449ad17c$0$3482$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.athenanews.com:

Everyone operates under "severe operating conditions". GM did a survey years back and found over 90% of all cars were operated under severe operating conditions.

Heat, dust, cold, etc. are all "severe operating conditions" and the most common one is short trips, the general rule is if you start your engine and turn it off in less than 30 minutes (and we all do that, my drive to work only takes 15 minutes) that constitutes "severe operating conditions".

Just ignore the "normal operating" section of the maintenance schedule, it's very unlikely it applies to you.

Reply to
XS11E

LOL! Yup, I know a few good ones, I am a marintimer, but vehicles just seem to work when I tinker with them. My son is putting an 87 Van on the road that has been sitting a few years and it started today but ran like dirt, then wouldn't start again. I looked at it, poked and pushed a couple relay connections and the sucker started and purrs. My poor kid just looks at me and says so what the !@@#$% did you do? I missed it. I laughed and told him. I recommended he clean all those connections. He will.

This one is taking a bit though... It's worth it, the body is nice and all the doors and windows work And as a bonus it still has floorboards! I live in the rust belt...

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Where I live a hundred buck Cherokee is the right rear door, w/o glass or hardware and dented pretty badly.

Reply to
XS11E

I think we need pix to document that it has working doors and windows.

I seem to recall the bumper on the CJ is being held on with a belt.

Reply to
billy ray

Many MANY years ago my Grandfather went out to crank the car up to take the family to church. Well he grabbed the crank and gave it a spin and the car didn't start. (I said this was many years ago... think this was a Model T!) So he tried it again, nothing, and again, still nothing.

Then this pious, hard working, sober, West Michigan farmer stood back and gave that Ford a "blessing" like it had never experienced before, with my horrified Grandmother watching through the kitchen window.

Well what do you know, that old Ford coughed, coughed again, sputtered, and then started.

Sometimes cars do listen!

Jeff DeWitt

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Here too.

I got this one through a gent I helped with his CJ a couple years back. His neighbor just wanted to get rid of it. Age, a tired engine and he has a new one. This one was one owner and was looked after. The battery even has dielectric grease on the terminals and all the wheels come off easily....

All the new parts we put on our 88 will swap over too. There won't be much left of that to haul away. LOL!

My wife got us/me a compressor and some air tools to help do the tinkering. Air hammer, air wrench and impact gun. That sure helps seeing as I can't turn a wrench for shit any more plus our kid wants help getting a van together so he can help me with the heavy stuff.

Mike

Mike Romain

Hey now, I upgraded that belt to bailing wire!

Just you wait, I will post some nice photos when I am done.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain