off-road.com

What is it with off-road.com ? That damn Nissan advert makes the site completely unusable :-(

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

i used to frequent ORC several times a day but stopped going all together because of that same nissan ad.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Dave, give AdSubtract a try from

It'sa pop-up add blocker and it really works well. I get zero pop-up ads sinceinstalling it. It'll also block unwanted cookies. There's a free-trialversion and then it's $29.95 U.S. if you want it. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks, will try !

My Norton Internet Security will block ads, but as it is a bit flakey on W2K, I usually leave it turned off, as my hardware firewall is good. I really hate popups, and I have been looking for a good ad blocker after I decided NIS is going.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

I just purchased and installed Norton Internet Security yesterday. It also has a pop-up ad blocker. No pop-ups popped up (say that 10 times fast) on that site for me today.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
twaldron

get a better, and more secure, browser. and of course, it has a built-in pop-up blocker. tabbed browsing also kicks IE's butt.

and it's freeware. free as in don't pay anything now, or ever, unless you want to.

Reply to
KJ

.....but how do you know when you need to turn it off if its doing its job?

Reply to
Nathan Collier

thats just it.....i used a pop up blocker once and i couldnt even view the bigger images of the vehicles at autotrader.com because they open up in a javascript pop up. thats just one example. i dont bother with the pop up blockers because they dont know the difference, and i just avoid sites (as best as i can anyway) that use advertisement popups.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

use the Google toolbar. For those sites where you want popups just click the popup blocker off. The toolbar remembers that setting for next time.

Reply to
DougW

Some, e.g. Mozilla/Netscape, put a little flag at the bottom of the browser. Clicking the flag opens the menu to allow the popup if desired.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Reply to
Trevor

...and sends that information to someone else.

it's really wonderful spyware.

Reply to
KJ

The Mozilla Firebird browser does as you've described. It can be downloaded at:

Daniel Bibbens

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

KJ did pass the time by typing:

Actually it does no such thing unless you allow it to by activating the advanced functionality. It also has been checked and approved for use where I work in the .mil. Go grab ethereal and watch for yourself.

Reply to
DougW

I'm happy with NoAds and AdAware. The heart of the problem is that suckers patronize businesses who resort to pop-ups and spam to sell their products. I won't ever buy a Nissan, or anything from the jerks who hide my Sunday comics behind ads. If I find someone's ads or methods offensive, I remember to not do business with them.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I use the google toolbar on my PC (and Safari w/pop-up blocking turned on on my Mac at home), and have no problems with this sort of thing. The google bar is nice in that it makes your mouse change to a different cursor momentarily and makes a "click" noise, if you turn this setting on, to let you know it is blocking something. Then, if you don't want it to, you can temporarily (or forever) turn off blocking for that particular site.

However, I've never had any difficulty with having INTENTIONAL pop-up windows (i.e. those that result from a click on a link on a webpage, such as with javascript image views) being blocked by either Safari on my Mac or the Google toolbar on my PC's IE.

Reply to
Bob

If you guys want a nice little popup blocker that is free, then go to

and get the program called POW. It is very small and simple to use. The program lets you decide what to block or let through. It is only about a 200k download and is very effective.

Chris