Oil Leak on G.J.L.

I have a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo, straight six with lots of miles.

I now have an oil leak. The oil is coming from a small plug-like device that is located directly above the oil filter. This thing plugs into a piece coming out of the engine and has a wire coming out the other end. Well, the wire end has a rubber plug that comes out when under pressure (motor running)....causing the oil to pump/drip out all over the place. I'm guessing it is some kind of oil pressure sensor????

This should be easy....can someone tell me what that part is called? I assume it can be replaced by cutting the existing wire and splicing in the new device...or do I need to somehow remove the wire from the old part?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
blg

Bingo!

I'm surprised your oil gauge isn't showing zero with that type of leak.

You can get a new one from either napa or the dealer. Just put a bit of pipe sealant (not teflon tape) on the threads and screw it in. The connector just pulls off, lift gently on the tab so it clears the bump, and wiggle.

The one from napa ECH (better line) has pipe dope on it already. ECHOP6695 Price: $37.49

The cheaper line NCP (Napa Chassis Parts) works but lacks the warranty and quite frankly it's poorly made.

Reply to
DougW

Since you have a 93, you might want to wonder around my site. I've done a lot of routine stuff (and some not routine) "most" of it is documented.

When you put the new one in, you don't want to overtighen it. The threads arn't that strong and if you lean on it you can strip them. It's better to run it in by hand then tighten with a wrench. Run the jeep, and if it's leaking a bit, give it another tweak.

Reply to
DougW

Not sure about that one. Never been into that part.

What if you press in on the key when your turning it back?

Reply to
DougW

I would almost suspect your ignition switch was loose in it's adjusting brackets if it is the same as the older Jeeps. The switch should be down low on the steering column.

On some vehicles, you have to turn the steering wheel quite a ways to get it to lock with the key out.

Mike

Mike Romain