84 CJ7 won't idle

I've got 84 CJ7 that won't idle when it warms up. It has a new looking rebuilt feedback style of carb on it. The timing is good. I've read some older threads about the carbon can and intake manifold, which I will check. I called the Jeep dealer and they said Chrysler doesn't make carbon cans for them any more, not that I know that I need a new one. It doesn't look in the best of shape though.

Can any one provide me with a proper layout for the vaccum hoses? That thing has a country mile of vaccum lines on it. I've got a feeling that someone has them all screwed up. I can't read the one under the hood anymore.

Thnx, Curly

Reply to
curly

If the canister is the trouble, it will normally surge at idle and puke oil into the air filter.

The most common cause of bad idle is plugged up idle tubes. Their crimped metered ends block up and need a 'physical' reaming out preferably with an oversize added. The physical part is an issue with rebuilt carbs, because it is normally a 'Big' no no to ream out carb parts so they rely on chemicals. Unfortunately chemicals just don't do it so lots of rebuilts come broke already.

One sneaky one that can block them is a dirty tube from the filter to the carb.

Here is a link on cleaning them out:

And another:
Welding supply shops sell metered files and mini drill bits for cleaning torch tips that work well for this.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain