Oil Pressure Hits Zero And Stays There- JGC '96

It will break down, but in the mean time it's a hazard to animals and a poison. Even the city prefers you not dump it in the drains as it messes with the sewerage treatment plant.

I drain what I can into a five gallon drum and take it to the cities vehicle maintenace facility. Figure what little remains will be dilluted enough with running water that it's ok to put down the sewer. I never drain into the street.

That or I use the auto hobby shop on base, where they have a flushing station.

Reply to
DougW

Ethylene Glycol degrades quickly as opposed to the child/pet safe stuff that degrades slowly and therefore stays toxic longer..

Getting the stuff you should use will run about $30-$35 if you use the correct brand.

As far as complexity..... if you know how to turn a screw and operate a garden hose you will have no problem changing your coolant.

Reply to
billy ray

You didn't answer the question about the hole in the ground. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

After you pour it into the hole it almost immediately starts breaking down unless deprived of oxygen, bacteria, and water. The rate is also influenced by temperature and the presence of other chemicals occasionally used in other EG applications (chemical aircraft deicers for example)

Reply to
billy ray

So it sounds like there is nothing wrong with disposing of the stuff the way we have pretty much always done it just being sure that critters can't get to it... as in a hole in the ground.

Jeff DeWitt

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

The anti-drainback valves in Fram products don't work very well, which is another reason to avoid them.

I once sold a nice station wagon when I was young and dumb because of 'start-up clatter'; the mechanic told me it was the timing chain and other expensive things, and that I should get rid of it pronto. The new owner knew the cause, and immediately changed out the FRAM filter with a different brand. All the start-up noise stopped and he was happy as hell with his purchase.

Nope, no more junk Fram products for me either. If everyone knew how bad this stuff really was, the company would just dry up and blow away.

Reply to
Outatime

Now..... I wouldn't publicly recommend that action, it would be a no no according to someone who could make me crankier than I normally am...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill you know from the Chevron days that few people actually perform preventative maintenance, you were probably surprised at the small number of people that would do even the 'scheduled' maintenance.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I bet Mark Foley has something similar.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
FrankW

This recommendation is printed on the back of most antifreeze jugs. I'd keep it out of the toilet however; the garage sink will do just fine; anything that routes to the local water treatment plant and NOT a storm drain that empties into a river is fine.

Reply to
Outatime