Old jeep won't start

My 85 CJ 258 won't start, it is getting fuel and fire. Plugs fire when removed from cylinders and fuel atomizes in carb throat when pedal is pushed. I tried priming in throat and directly in cylinders. At first It would run very rough for a few seconds and then back fire and stall but now it won't catch at all. What should I do next.

Reply to
mark

How did this come about? Was it running and then quit or?????

Mike

Mike Romain

How much fire? You can get a spark that isn't enought to burn fuel with a weak coil. Timing will also throw everything out of whack and prevert starting with a good spark & fuel. Same thing with carb adjustment.

As Mike Romain said :: was this running and parked and now won't start? Sitting how long? Indoors or outdoors? Was something recently replaced or repaired? It all matters to some degree.

Cheers, - JJ

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

It sat for the winter but last fall it ran OK. I can't see the timing playing a role since it has not changed since it last ran. One wierd thing I noticed was that number one plug was dry when removed after a lot of priming through the carb throat. Might there be an intake valve issue here?

Reply to
mark

Those engines can flood like mad when primed. I would be taking all the plugs out and drying/cleaning them first. If you can push on the gas and it sprays inside the carb, you do not need any more prime than that. You might even need to use wide open throttle to get it going.

Is the choke working?

I then would be checking out the distributor cap for carbon tracks. You say you saw spark at one cylinder, you have 5 more. Condensation can get inside there too. If it looks damp, WD40 is good for cleaning and drying the insides. A weak spark can contribute to a flooded engine.

I would be leaning towards the flood though....

Mike

Mike Romain

It may just be bad gas did you use any gas stabilizer? Coasty

Reply to
Coasty