Ontario Jeepers- used motor? (258 I-6 standard)

A while ago I bought an '87 YJ with the intention of either running it in the winter and saving my '94 YJ from the salt, or building it into an offroad beast. I bought it in the summer of '01, and it... ran.

It needs a new motor. The one in there now looks like spaghetti, has metal flakes in the oil (when it actually holds oil) and can't hold a charge for nothing. It sounds like a freshman band class when it's running. The tranny is smooth, brakes are new, new cat (universal) and exhaust... but I'm at a loss where to look for a motor.

I called a few shops and the prices range from 2400-2600 installed, the motor being around 1200. I hear of people getting a rebuilt 258 for like 500 bucks! My goal this summer is to take care of the ol' Beater and finally get it running.

Where do I start looking?

coop

Reply to
cooper

Chrysler sells the short blocks for $1200.00 last time I checked.

Doing it yourself will run into $500.00 in parts....

I got a used low mileage engine for $400.00 for mine, but they are hard to find.

Mike

co>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Keep us posted on what you find. I have been planning on rebuilding my worn out 258 as my winter project. Then last night I found a free 258 that is in need of a rebuild as well. So now I have the luxury of building one, driving the other, then doing an engine swap at my discretion. I am in about the same phase you are, looking at $350ish for a rebuild kit, performance cam for $150ish, have the engine balanced $150ish, some time getting parts machines $200ish. All of those prices are my guesses and from about 10 minutes with Google so I really don't know what this will cost. I add that up plus things that I forgot and I could easily be in this $1000. Then I hear that "Chrysler sells the short blocks for $1200.00" makes me wonder if I need to look at that option instead?? Let us know what you find, I will be watching.

Reply to
fletcher

fletcher did pass the time by typing:

Than this will rilly get you thinking.

SHORT BLOCK, All Models - 4.0L93-95 $1,075.00 $860.00 Includes: Block With Pistons, Rings, Pins, Rods, Main Bearings, Crankshaft, Camshaft Bearings, Timing Gears And Timing Chain.

SHORT BLOCK, 5.2L - 5.2L, 5.9L93-98 $3,050.00 $2,440.00 Includes: Cylinder Block With Pistons & Rings, Crankshaft, Connecting Rods & Bearings.

At those prices unless I was after a stroker, that would be the solution.

Somewhere out there on the wild wild web I ran across a fully rebuilt or stroked crate I6 for about 2,500 or so.

Reply to
DougW

Down here in the southerly Canadian province (the one with 48 states within it), reman shortblocks retail for about US$1200 (plus core). Add your own head and accessories. I understand what you're thinking, though. I recently passed on the offer for sale of a 91 Cherokee in great shape -- except the engine sounds like a dozen empty coffee cans rolling around inside a clothes dryer. After counting on my fingers a bit I realized that I could get it and put in a rebuilt engine and spend about US3500 on a car worth 3K.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton