Opinions on best "lite" AT tire?

I need to get new tires for my new-to-me SUV. I don't want to go aggressive; I don't think I will even go as aggressive as a BFG AT. It has Michelin AT's on it now but they will need replacing soon and since I bought it with them fairly worn out I don't know how they perform, really. My priorities are as follows:

-wet pavement

-snow and ice

-durability and ride quality

-mud

So you can see mud is way down there, but I really need wet pavement and packed snow and ice performance. It's a heavy vehicle so I'd like the tire to be reasonably strong since I wll be on rocky dirt roads, but I DO NOT want to put gnarly knobby tires on there; I have MT/R's on my TJ but this vehicle needs just plain ol' wussy AT's.

What would YOU put on a Cherokee used for groceries, camping trips, ski trips, etc?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
FrankW

BFG AT KO's, I put them on both my Cherokee and my Grand. Low noise, excellent wet/dry traction, really good in snow and mud when needed. I live in Virginia and we get snow/ice/mud every year, the rest of the time it's just wet and these are the best tires I've found yet.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.

Reply to
twaldron

I sure wouldn't use the BFG A/T KOs - I had them on a 91 XJ and I did not at all like the ride on the highway - very harsh IMHO, even at 32 psi. They sure are good looking and are reasonably effective all-around tires, except for the mud.....

Why are you calling a Cherokee "heavy"? It's a tin can on wheels. A Land Cruiser is heavy.

Have you checked the Tire Rack?

?type=HAS Also, if you go to an individual tire's page at that website, there are usually user reviews posted at the bottom.

John

Reply to
John Davies

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, John Davies at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 3/16/05 7:49 AM:

Well... heh heh... it actually IS a Land Cruiser. But I respect the opinion of this group so much that I wanted to ask the question here. So I threw in the part about what would you put on your Cherokee since many Cherokee's are used for what I intend to use this rig for: hauling my family around.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

John, what the hell are you running, anyway? The only time I run those BFG A/T's over 30 psi is when the load in the bed of the Comanche gets about cab high and the bump stops in the rear are getting a workout. I run 30 front, 28 rear for wear and ride and tire wear normally - anything over that and it acts like an over inflated basketball going down the road. Door sticker calls for 30 psi front/rear at rated load so I don't see any reason for ever testing that sidewall MAX pressure rating.

When I got the truck it had BFG T/A Advantage tires on it (passenger highway tires). It made a couple of trips CO to S. Texas before I needed new rubber so when I went to the A/T I was expecting a lot of noise and a much rougher ride. Surprise - the A/T was just noticably noiser (except for those cross-grooved concrete stretches - man, do those sing) and the ride was comparable. Best wet road tire I've ever used, grip on ice or packed snow is also really good. Wet, slushy snow performance is good, but deep, loose snow is not as good as a more agressive tread as the A/T tends to load up. Same problem as deep mud - they don't clear as well as I would like. They wear like iron - 45,000 and I'm looking at somewhere around 60, 65k before I need to even think about changing them.

Reply to
Will Honea

Duler AT Revo's are excellent rain, snow tires, noiser than I expected but worth it. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'll 2nd that... have them on my TJ and love them.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

try the sport kings made by bfg they are inexpensive and great all around tires!!

Jarod Sprauer Talk is Jeep @

281-807-Jeep (5337)

Reply to
ISellJeeps