Opinions on shocks?

My '01 GC (Laredo, I-6, towing pkg., OEM 'oversize' tires, otherwise stock suspension) has about 50K on it and I'm feeling weak shocks. Does this sound about right for the lifespan of the OEM units? At any rate, it's bouncing around more than the wife's Jaguar X-Type *Sport*, so I figure *something's* got to be done. Since I'm used to strut insert replacements on German cars, Jeep shocks are no huge deal financially and I've been shopping and reading what I can find. I don't currently do any offroading, but I won't rule it out in the future.

It appears that the Rancho RS9000 is my best choice for its versatility, warranty, and pricing (in that order - I like the idea of adjustability, lifetime warranty is *always* good, and I've found them online for just a tad under $300 for a set of four). The most recent posts I could find here were for pre-'99 installations and I'm wondering if, with more experience, any of your opinions have changed since then.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there, haven't done *that*)

Reply to
Motorhead Lawyer

They're still a very good shock and a very good choice for your GC if you need various settings. If you don't need adjustability, OME's shocks also have a very (!) good ride and they too come with a lifetime warranty.

Jerry

Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Motorhead Lawyer proclaimed:

I have the RS9000X adjustables on a ZJ model GC. I personally like them, but then my other vehicle is a sports car so I am used to a bit of kidney rattle. Unless you regularly switch from highway to rough trail, the adjustable [although trewly kewl] is probably overkill. For highway and mild off roading, you might prefer the Edelbrock IAS that is self adjusting.

Reply to
Lon

Lon did pass the time by typing:

I like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. Fairly tight higway ride that will still handle some rough driving.

Reply to
DougW

DougW proclaimed:

Yeah, but with the Rancho's you have no problems at all finding loose items that may have dropped. Or loose trim. Or loose roof rack adjusters, or door rubber that needs replacing, etc. etc. etc. >:-)

Reply to
Lon

Our other vehicles are an '88 BMW 535is on Eibach springs and Bilstein HDs and an '02 Jaguar X-Type Sport. Neither is known for its cushy ride but I just noticed that the wife's sport-suspended Jag on 16" Dunlop 60-series snow tires is smoother over some of our local winter roads than the Jeep. And that's just plain wrong ...

Well, the other Rancho (RS5000) is also self-adjusting. Are these both gas-pressurised? Is the 9000? Still, for the small price differential, I may just go for kewl. After all, I'm only buying these things *once* for this GC ... =;^)

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
Motorhead Lawyer

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Do they adjust before or after they knock all your fillings out?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think the 735 is a V8 isn't it ? It used to be a straight six. The V12 is the 750i IIRC.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

your brother's is the 5 litre then. The 7 series do have a reputation for electrical unreliability....

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

shame - they are nice cars when they work.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III