Order Jeep -> Lose Rebate??

On 10 Dec 2003 04:32 PM, mabar posted the following:

I think you are probably right about that, but just because that is how they have the proportioning valve set up, doesn't make it rear wheel ABS as Mike asserted. It is purely a passive system and will not actively adapt to changing conditions like ABS will. This should not be construed to mean that I think there is anything wrong with a good proportioning valve setup. As with all things mechanical, it is a compromise. My old 2wd automatic truck that will lock up the fronts while the rears keep turning on ice, will cheerfully lock up one or both rear wheels in a maximum performance stop on dry pavement if you apply too much pressure (don't ask how I know this). At least I don't feel so bad for not spending the big bucks on a rear disc conversion for it.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's what ABS does, release a faster than you ever could...I guess you're one of those millions who would continue to pump the pedal on an ABS-equipped vehicle.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

They used to advertise the 'new' systems as rear ABS when they first came out.

Mike

Del Rawl>

Reply to
Mike Romain

The NHTSA says the same as I stated.

Quote:

Are all antilock systems the same?

They are all very similar in the way they control brake pressure, but some sytems are designed to prevent only the rear wheels from locking up. These rear-wheel-only systems are found on pickups and sport-utility vehicles. Rear-wheel ABS keeps your vehicle from spinning out of control,

End quote.

Mike

Del Rawl>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That would be a broken ABS. ABS doesn't release the brakes, it pulses them off and then right back on fast. Easily demonstrated by simply reading the owners manual or a FSM.

Ah yes, the old fart theory of safe driving. I think you can get it on a bumper sticker now.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"never had an accident on a public road" All my accidents took place off the road (technically).

ABS-equipped

Reply to
Joe

"Fan of the dumbest team in America." What team is that?

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 11 Dec 2003 08:09 AM, Mike Romain posted the following:

Except you weren't talking about ABS, you claimed that Jeeps had ABS since the 70s which is not true. What you were referring to is the proportioning valve which determines how much fluid is sent to the front and rear brakes. Just because it has the effect of making the rear brakes more difficult to lock doesn't make it an ABS system.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

On 11 Dec 2003 06:40 AM, Mike Romain posted the following:

There is such a thing as rear only abs, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Believe whatever 'you' want. The reason they started putting a 'combination' proportioning valve in was to give you ABS in the rear so you can stop fast without locking up the rear wheels.

On Jeep 'wrangler' style vehicles, this was in 1974 and it for sure was advertised as rear anti-lock brakes.

From my CJ maintenance manual:

Quote:

The proportioner section provides balanced front-to-rear pressure during hard braking, reducing the rear line pressure so the wheels don't lock up.

End quote.

My Cherokee maintenance manual says virtually the same thing.

Mike

Mike Romain

On 12 Dec 2003 09:03 AM, Mike Romain posted the following:

Now we are just arguing semantics. An ABS system is an active system which can change how it modulates the pressure on the fly. You can call your proportioning valve ABS but that doesn't make it so, even if it helps accomplish the same purpose. FWIW, I don't see the term Anti Lock Brakes in your quote.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Flunked reading comprehension, huh Bill? I'll stand by what I said, but your twisted interpretation of it would be funny if not so sad. Try upping the Gingko doseage.

Reply to
Lon Stowell