Oregon Dunes, beach driving in OR

I am planning a summer visit to the North and South Oregon coast and am interested in learning about beach driving and also the Oregon Dunes area.

In particular I would like a map that shows which beaches are open to driving and when (seasonal restrictions).

My truck has front and rear lockers but I am running 33 inch MTRs - will the aggressive tread cause trouble in deep loose sand even aired down? I have never done any of this type of driving.

I know I need a flag and an ATV permit for the Dunes - is there anything else I need to know? Are full sized vehicles limited to certain areas or trails? Got any good links?

How about a nice tent campground near the Dunes that is not swarming with dirt bikes and ATVs?

Thanks for any help - I am sure a lot of you guys have driven this area....

John Davies

Reply to
John Davies

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

We were there last summer and the only full sized anything I saw on the dunes was a GM pickup frame with a roll cage welded on where the body used to be. It was being used by the outfit we rented the ATV's from to smooth out the moguls in the trail. They were dragging what looked like an old bed frame. The tires on this beast were Mickey Thompson 35x17.50 Baja's.

I was really disappointed that I didn't see one Jeep where we were. (But maybe they weren't allowed. I don't know)

Now if you want to talk about fun, those ATV's we rented were a blast on the dunes, and they were just 250's. I'd never ridden one before and it was a total spur of the moment decision to rent them. Unfortunately for my wallet I now have a real bad case of the "I wants."

The dunes are a fun place and I hope to return someday, Dean

Reply to
Dean

air down to about 25psi...

if you feel yourself stop moving, let off the gas, IMMEDIATELY....

treat it like mud...except even harder to get out of....

ed .... ( beach local....)

Reply to
Ed Roper

And be quite knowledgeable about local tidal schedules. Nothing like watching the water slowly head for your tires as you try to get either a tow or enough stuff under them to get a bit of forward motion again....the good news is that the wetting from the incoming tide can help you get out. The bad news is if you don't follow Ed's advice and have buried yourself in the sand.

Ed Roper proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Air down to 25 psi??? That little amount of airing down will not do much good at all. To effectively increase the footprint of the tire, you need to get the air pressure down into the low or maybe the mid teens... which is not airing down too much at all. Remember to let the sand slow you down and stop you, using the brakes to stop on sand will usually cause a berm to form in front of your tires which makes getting started again a dicey thing.

Jerry

L> And be quite knowledgeable about local tidal schedules. Nothing like

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

25 psi? Heck that is my street pressure

As a rock crawler mud and sand scare me. Give me broken u joints, snapped axles and roll overs any day!

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The woman behind you - reminds me of the painting "the scream" :-)

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Looks good to me. Where was that taken ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

jbjeep