OT: 625 HP and 2000 ft'lb Torque interest you?

Volvo VT880 - $150,000 Cdn. Got to drive this beast yesterday... oh man! The power numbers are staggering but once you jump inside, you feel like you're in half million dollar RV. Leather everywhere, burl trim, monster bunk etc. So quite and smooth, it feels like a Cadillac Deville to drive. Volvo takes a lot of heat for not being "a real truck" but even the most staunch traditionalist would be giddy as a school girl after taking this behemoth for a ride.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Brian was that you last night around 0825 ish on Derry just west of Torbram (approaching the lights)? if so that was me honking as I scooted past, if it wasn't you one of your fellow drivers prolly has a good story about some lunitic driver...lol

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Can we shoehorn that 16 liter into his XJ is the real question....

Reply to
Billy Ray

i dont think it will matter much as most drivers will never see it. the majority (id guess at least 95%) of the trucking companies who could afford such luxuries turn the power down on existing diesels and only turn it up when going through the mountains. this can be done automatically via gps and satellite connected computers.

....sure isnt your mack truck of the 70s.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nope, wasn't me... at 8:25 I would have been on Steeles turning North onto Torbram. My truck number is 442.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

We sure can, you probably noticed I made room for it by removing all of the interior!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Volvo isn't building this truck to appeal to companies, it was specifically designed for owner operators who care to indulge. Everything on this truck is excessive and their demographic is the accomplished old timers willing to trade in their 2-3 year old Peterbilts and Kenworths because they can afford it. This truck will be built in small numbers and is designed to turn heads. Mission accomplished.

We went into a truck stop with this thing and parked beside a Freightliner Coronado

for a side by side comparison. We didn't have our feet on the ground for 10 seconds before people started walking up to the truck and asking questions. Beside the Coronado, the VT 880 has a measurably higher and wider hood but gives the impression that the entire truck is higher/wider/longer... it just looks massive.

By the way, trucking companies can't turn down a truck through GPS or Satellite, it has to be done on the ground and each truck is password protected. They can however adjust the values in which the truck records violation (speed/RPM/idling) but does not unable the driver from doing so. Most companies elect to have trucks set to full power on cruise with a cap on the speed limit and reduced power on the pedal with an extra 7-8 mph available for wiggle room.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

for a side by side comparison. We didn't have our feet on the ground for 10> seconds before people started walking up to the truck and asking questions.> Beside the Coronado, the VT 880 has a measurably higher and wider hood but> gives the impression that the entire truck is higher/wider/longer... it just> looks massive.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

However, if my memory serves me, the Mack Truck plant was in Hagarstown, or wherver the story said the Volvo motors are being built.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ya know..... we might have to fabricate a few brackets and motor mounts but there could be a great benefit to a mid-engined XJ pushing 1000 pound-feet of torque.

We might have to lift it a bit to clear the tires.... well..... maybe not....

Reply to
Billy Ray

.......just going on what i was told. this is sorta along the same lines

here is another good one

without exception, anytime im pulling some of the larger passes out here lurking on the CB (heh....in montana the CB is still more popular than cell phones) the truckers are _always_ complaining about their eastern based companies turning their trucks down. the local companies out here tend to turn them up.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Ahh yes, the panic button. This is completely different than the satellite systems many trucks are equipped with, it's just a fuel interrupt via satellite. I think it would be easy to incorporate a shut off into today's systems

but it's use could be catastrophic. I doubt any governing body would empower a fleet operator the ability flip the switch on a whim. Satellite systems tap into the truck computer but only monitor its system... operating speed, RPM, fuel economy, PTO use, idling. GPS monitoring is optional as is text messaging. This system has so many possible uses (cellular, web browsing, email, television signals etc.) but the transfer rates are extremely expensive. Our fleet Mgr. recommends using canned messages rather than free form because we pay per character. If we can't sum up the content of a message in one sentence, it's actually cheaper to pick up the cell phone.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Nope, Mack is in Allentown PA.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

See new thread "oil prices got you down?"

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd